eResources and Databases
Recommended Resources for Asia Pacific Studies
Includes journal articles and research paper resources to support Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Russian studies:
- Academic Search Complete A useful full-text, multi-subject database of over 6000 journals.
- Bibliography of Asian Studies - The most comprehensive western language resource for research on Asia - covering humanities and social sciences , pertaining to East, South East and South Asia published worldwide from 1971 to present. ( awaiting web page )
- DBpia / KRpia - databases for academic publications in Korean.
- Historical Abstracts - covers world history events form 1450 to present including world history, military history, women's history, history of education and much more.
JSTOR A full-text database of journals in the Arts and Sciences.
- MLA (Modern
Languages Association) Indexes of over 6,000 literature and language
journals, as well as books, essay collections, working papers,
proceedings, dissertations, and bibliographies, from 1963 onwards. MLA
will include articles on Business English, and communication generally.
- Project Muse Has full-text and abstracts and covers subject areas including literature, history, visual and performing arts, cultural studies, education, politics and gender studies.
- ProQuest Central brings together complete databases across all major subject areas, including business, health and medical, social sciences, arts and humanities, education, science and technology, and religion. The collection includes thousands of full-text scholarly journals, newspapers, magazines, dissertations, working papers, and market reports
- Sage Premier Journals Online - a collection of over 400 full text journals
- Science Direct A full-text database that covers most subject areas.
- Social Science Abstracts
- Taylor & Francis Library
Other useful resources to support Asia Pacific Studies, Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Russian studies:
- Asahi Shimbun Digital - One of the oldest and largest Japanese newspapers. Includes articles published in the past year only. Useful for reading the newspaper on a daily basis, and for studying the Japanese language
- Asahi Shimbun Kikuzo II Visual - A Japanese language newspaper. Access includes articles from 1879 to present.
- Chairman's Bao - is the most comprehensive news-based graded reader for students of Chinese. Thousands of HSK-graded news-based lessons are meticulously created each year by a highly-experienced writing and editing team
- Ethnologue : Languages of the World - A comprehensive listing of every recognised language. Study statistics for a given country, region, or the world. Easy to search as every known name and dialect for each language is listed. Provides the data needed to study languages in more depth
- Japan Knowledge - contains a wealth of knowledge from Japan's foremost encyclopedias and dictionaries. Its cross-search brings results from its wide-ranging libraries, from dictionaries of a variety of languages besides Japanese and English to encyclopedias of history that delve deeply into historical facts
- Korea Times Historical Archive -This historical newspaper provides genealogists, researchers and scholars with online, easily-searchable first-hand accounts and unparalleled coverage of the politics, society and events of the time.
- Nexis A full-text database of national and international newspaper reports.
- NK Pro - For researchers on North Korea - Specialist DPRK news and analysis, bespoke research tools and unique data sets.
- Oxford English Dictionary The 20+ volumes of the 2nd edition, online.
- Phrase Thesaurus 17,000 phrases - Similes, related words, euphemisms etc.
Searching for journal articles (Abstracting and indexing databases)
Should you want to undertake a more thorough search for research materials/literature, try searching the following abstract and indexing databases.
Our Electronic Resources section provides details of all our online resources and includes an E-Databases A-Z list.