School of Community Health and Midwifery
Greenbank Building, GR208
Subject Areas: Pharmacy and Pharmacology
Janice is a primary care pharmacist – employed by NHS East Lancashire Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) and seconded to UCLan for 2 days per week as co-module leader for the Non-medical prescribing course.
Janice has worked in community pharmacy, hospital pharmacy and currently in primary care pharmacy. She is currently employed by East Lancashire Clinical Commissioning Group where she provides medicines management support and advice to a locality group of General Practices (GPs). This involves:
• Contributing strategically and operationally to the development and delivery of pharmaceutical, prescribing and medicines management initiatives across the CCG in accordance with national policy and the CCG medicines management strategy.
• Delivering rational, high quality, safe, cost-effective, evidence-based prescribing through expert pharmaceutical advice and support to a specific locality group of GP practices, individual GP practices and individual prescribers within the practices.
• Contributing to the delivery of prescribing and medicines management services across the CCG to meet the pharmaceutical care needs of the population, improve concordance and reduce waste.
• Taking a lead role in the CCG Medicines Management team for a specific locality group of GP practices.
• Providing education and training on rational, evidence-based prescribing to all members of the multidisciplinary team as appropriate.
Janice is a Non-medical prescriber and utilises her prescribing role whilst working for an Out of Hours service provider. This role involves completing episodes of care for patients who contact the centre with urgent medication requirements and providing medicines information to patients, health and social care staff who contact the service for advice or information.
Janice is co-course leader on the multidisciplinary Non-medical prescribing course at UCLan which is hosted by the Faculty of Health and Wellbeing. Janice works with nurses and Allied Health Professionals (AHPs) in the teaching and assessment of pharmacists, nurses and AHPs studying to qualify as NMPs.
What is the Legislation that surrounds the administration of medicines? (August 2011) Journal of Paramedic Practice, 3(8)424-8
“Prescribing for Specific Groups” in Nuttall D and Rutt Howard J (Eds) (2011) The Textbook of Non Medical Prescribing. Chichester, Wiley-Blackwell
Snape T, Astles, A, Davies J (2010) Understanding the Chemical Basis of Drug Stability and Degradation, Pharmaceutical Journal (285) 416
Regional Conference of Paramedic Practice – 2011. “Who can give what – a whirlwind tour of the legislation surrounding medicines administration for paramedics”