Pathways to Medicine Programme
Our Pathways to Medicine programme is designed for students who are from backgrounds that are under-represented at universities. The programme has been developed to provide advice, skills and support to strengthen your application for medicine and related professional healthcare courses.
Why join the programme?
Applying to study medicine and other related subjects is extremely competitive. By participating and completing our Pathways to Medicine programme you’ll strengthen your application as you will be better prepared for the application process and any future interview opportunities. We'll also help you to explore exciting alternatives to medicine.
As part of the programme you will be given a chance to take part in the following:
- An information session for you and a guest to find out more about studying medicine and how to apply. This will be a chance to meet academics, current students and members of the admissions team.
- A medical degree taster session, where you will take part in sessions run by our academics.
- Activities to support A-Level Biology and Chemistry.
- An application advice session with our admissions and student recruitment teams, to help you make your application stand out.
- An interview support session to prepare you for the challenging medicine course interviews.
Unique Pathways to Medicine Scholarships
As a student on our Pathways to Medicine programme you will also be eligible for two generous scholarships offered by our School of Medicine, known as the Livesey Scholarships.
To take part in the programme you must:
- Be studying for 3 A Levels including Chemistry and one other science subject.
- Have studied Maths and English up to the age of 16 and can provide some evidence of academic achievement.
- Live in the North West of England.
- Be in Year 12 at the time of application as the programme extends into year 13.
When selecting students to take part in the programme we will consider the following:
- Whether you are the first person in your family to study at university.
- If your studies may have been interrupted previously.
- Whether you have experience of being in care, homelessness or you have been estranged from your parents/carers.
- How many young people from the area you live in progress onto university after school and college.
For the two scholarships you will need to:
- Complete the Pathways to Medicine Programme
- Apply for our Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor or Surgery (MBBS) programme
- Be successful at reaching interview stage for our MBBS programme.
The Livesey Scholarships will be awarded to the two candidates with the highest interview score. Students must also have met all other criteria outlined by the School of Medicine. Please note that these scholarships are separate and distinct to other scholarships offered by the School of Medicine.
The scholarships will cover all tuition fees for the duration of the five year course.
How to Apply
In order to take part, you must:
- Be free to attend all of the sessions (the initial list of dates and times are listed on the online application).
a. Introduction to medicine - welcome session
b. Medical degree taster session
c. Application support session
d. Interview support session
- Meet our selection criteria (see above)
- Have support from a school or college teacher to attend
- Have consent from your parent(s) and carer(s) to attend.
The deadline to apply is by Monday 9 May 2022 (the application will close at 23.59pm).
For more information please contact our Access team: email@example.com or telephone: +44 (0)1772 201201.
If you are successful, we will contact your school/college and parent(s)/carer(s) to confirm your application.