Research students

International Students

UCLan welcomes research applications from international students. If you are not currently staying in the UK you will find most of the literature and forms on the web. Prospective international students are required to provide evidence of competence in written and spoken English in addition to the minimum entry requirements if your first language is not English.

Immigration Regulations and Visas

Most international students will need to study full-time and obtain a Tier 4 General Student visa to study a research degree.

You can only apply for your visa three months before you start your research degree. Under the Tier 4 regulations you must earn a certain number of points in various categories to obtain a visa, including being able to demonstrate you can support yourself whilst studying and providing your certificates for your qualifications used for entry. Other documentation will also be required and you should ensure you are familiar with the requirements. Further information is available on the UK Borders Agency website.


View international tuition fees for students


ATAS Clearance

Some projects, mostly in Science and Technology subjects, will require ATAS approval from the UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office. When considering your application the School will determine whether this will be required. ATAS may take 20 working days or more to obtain clearance and will be required before you can apply for your visa. NOTE: You will need to allow additional time for this process before entry to your programme. View further information on ATAS.