Research Funding Opportunities

It is important that you know how you are going to fund your studies for the duration of your research degree, and ensure you have the resources to pay all your fees, costs associated with your research programme and your living expenses. You are advised to explore funding opportunities at an early stage of the application process. Funding can be found from a number of organisations but competition for funding is often very fierce.

Apply for research degree now


If you’re starting a doctoral degree on or after 1 August 2018, you could get a Postgraduate Doctoral Loan of up to £25,000 to help with course fees and living costs. It is not based on your income or your family’s and it’s paid directly to you.

A Postgraduate Doctoral Loan can help with course fees and living costs while you study a postgraduate doctoral course, such as a PhD. See GOV.UK for more details.

University Funded Studentships

When studentships for postgraduate studies at the University of Central Lancashire become available they are advertised via the national press or on websites such as and also on the University’s UCLan Research Bursaries and Studentships web page. Appointments are then made following shortlisting and interview.

Research Council Funding

The University offers a number of Research Council studentships each year. These will be advertised on the UCLan website. These are only open to Home or EU residents. Eligibility for funding entitlements varies for Home and EU students. You should consult the website of the relevant Research Council for further details.

Company Sponsorship

It may be worthwhile enquiring at your place of work to see if there is a sponsorship scheme for staff development available to assist you with your studies.



Information about charitable or educational trusts can be found in the following publications:

All of these publications can normally be found in public reference libraries.

Career Development Loans

It may be possible to obtain a Career Development Loan for certain postgraduate vocational courses.

For further information, visit the Career Development Loans website. It may also be possible to secure a bank or building society loan to cover costs.



Other Sources of Information

The Department for Education and Skills (DfES) also issues a number of publications. Lists can be obtained from:
DfES Publications Centre, PO Box 5050, Sherwood Park, Annesley, Nottingham, NG15 0DJ Tel: 0845 6022260


Online Resources

There is a wide range of information on the web relating to postgraduate funding. The Prospects website offers useful advice on postgraduate funding opportunities. The Euraxess - Researchers in Motion website is useful to search for international funding opportunities, including travel to conferences, organising meetings, short research visits, fellowships etc.


Funding schemes for international students are very competitive. To be successful you normally need to demonstrate outstanding academic achievement. You should make enquiries about funding opportunities at an early stage, approximately 12-18 months before you intend to commence studying. As a starting point you should contact the Ministry of Education in your own country. Your local British Council office may also provide helpful information.

Chevening Scholarships

This is a UK government's scholarship scheme that offers exceptional candidates the opportunity to study for postgraduate research masters at leading universities.

The programme covers a wide range of disciplines. For details of the latest scheme consult the website.