The Sun, our closest star, is the geometrical and gravitational centre of our Solar System - it provides all the light, heat and energy that is required for life here on Earth.
The influence of the Sun extends over a vast region, called the Heliosphere, which includes the solar system planets. Due to the Sun being so near (150 million km, which in astronomical terms is tiny!) we can observe it in immense detail. It is also very important to understand how this celestial object interacts with our planet.
The research carried out by the solar group focusses on studying the Sun and how the Sun's activity affects the Earth. The Solar Physics group is part of the Jeremiah Horrocks Institute.
- Exploring Light and Dark Exhibition
- Jeremiah Horrocks Institute
- JHI hosts STFC advanced summer school in solar system plasmas
- School of Physical Sciences and Computing
- Stellar Astrophysics
- Extragalactic Astrophysics
- High Performance Computing Advanced Visualisation Facility