Greener on the Outside for Prisons
This pan-regional programme will provide a coherent, holistic and joined-up approach to improving the health and wellbeing of offenders, their families, H.M.
Prison Service staff and local communities within the North West of England. Forming part of the Target Wellbeing Portfolio, managed by Groundwork UK and funded by Big Lottery’s Wellbeing2 Programme will deliver a range of integrated strategic environmental initiatives that will improve wellbeing and quality of life, reduce health inequalities and have a positive impact on the drive to reduce re-offending.
The aim of the programme is to:
- Reduce inequalities and achieve sustainable improvements in health, wellbeing and learning outcomes for offenders and their families, with a particular focus on mental health, physical activity and healthier eating.
In order to meet these aims, the programme will work towards the following objectives:
- Provide opportunities to increase physical activity levels through practical activities
- Increase knowledge and understanding of food and the food growing process
Dr Michelle Baybutt
- Public Sector Prisons North West
- Forestry Commission
- Lancashire County Council
- Trust for Conservation Volunteers
- Manchester City College
- Groundwork UK
2013 - [ongoing]
- Big Lottery Wellbeing 2 Programme
- Her Majesty’s Prison and Probation Service