Community Engagement & Service User Support (Comensus)
Comensus developed out of an action research project originally formed in 2004 funded by the then Faculty of Health at the University of Central Lancashire.
Its aim was to develop the systematic and strategic involvement of health and social care service users and carers in all areas of scholarly activity.
Research outputs from the original project are listed below:
- Downe, S., McKeown, M., Johnson, E., Comensus Community Involvement Team, Comensus Advisory Group, Koloczek, L., Grunwald, A. & Malihi-Shoja, L. (2007)
- The UCLan Community Engagement and Service User Support (Comensus) project: Valuing authenticity making space for emergence. Health Expectations, on-line early Hopkins, R., Cox, P. & McKewon, M. (2007)
- Making sense of health and social care service user participation in a university setting: the relevance of social movement theory.
- 12th International Conference on Alternative Futures and Popular Protest,, Manchester, April 2-4. McKeown, M. (2007)
- Alienation & Redemption: staff and survivor alliances in a context of mental health service user involvement 21st Annual National Mental Health Conference. Transforming practice: ideas into reality. Robinson College Cambridge, July 15-16. Liberato, D., McClennahan, P., Shoja, L. & McKeown, M. (2007)
- The Comensus Project: Service User and Carer Involvement in Higher Education. 21st Annual National Mental Health Conference. Transforming practice: ideas into reality. Robinson College Cambridge July 15-16. Shoja, L., Collier, L., Parmar, H. & McKeown, M. (2006)
- The Comensus Project: service user and carer involvement in higher education (paper)National Mental health Nursing Conference, Shaping mental health nursing for the 21st century. Cambridge, July 17-18. Shoja, L., Solanki, N. Coxhead, J. & McKeown, M. (2006)
- The Comensus Project (paper).5th National INVOLVE Conference, Herts, September 6-7. Amed, W., Shoja, L., Lunt, L. &. McKeown, M. (2006)
- The Comensus Project (invited contribution). Building a Platform for Change. Cambridge, September 14-15. McKeown, M. & Spandler, H. (2006)
- 11th International Conference on Alternative Futures and Popular Protest, Manchester, April 19-21. Alienation and redemption: the potential for alliances with mental health service users (paper). McKeown, M. (2005)
- Mental Health Service User Involvement Partnerships (invited contribution). David Brandon Memorial Event. Preston, March 3. McKeown, M., Shoja, L. (2005)
- The Comensus Project. Partnerships for Healthy Places. Delivering wellbeing, tackling inequalities: healthy settings in action. University of Central Lancashire, Preston, September 6-7 Solanki, N, Liberato, D., Koloczek, L. & Shoja, L. (2005)
- Faculty-wide community engagement and service user support. International ‘Where’s the Patient Voice’ Conference, UBC Vancouver, November 3-5. Johnson, E., Parmar, H., McKeown, M. (2004)
- Comensus – community engagement and support project. 4th National INVOLVE Conference. Nottingham, November 10-11. Johnson, E. (2004)
- The Comensus Project. Unlocking the potential partnerships in health and social care conference, Wrexham November 5.
For more information regarding Comensus research projects please contact: