Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
The MA in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) is the first step to a rewarding career in teaching English, with opportunities to travel widely and to experience new cultures. It’s also a unique opportunity to enter the field of TESOL without any prior teaching experience.
Why study with us
- The course provides a solid foundation of knowledge, linking theory to more practical aspects of TESOL.
- The teaching team are highly experienced teachers and teacher trainers with extensive experience working in a range of teaching contexts. Members of the team are research active and have varied research interests to share in their sessions.
- Our students have commented on the friendly and supportive approach of the teaching team – we are committed to helping our students gain maximum benefit from their studies.
What you'll do
- We have a well-established network of alumni who can offer tips on possible future jobs. We also offer opportunities to take external professional qualifications to enhance your C.V.
- Some students take advantage of volunteer opportunities in the University Language Academy, and we also provide chances for you to observe experienced teachers in different classes. There are various employability events that you can participate in which help guide you towards different career options.
- The School organises a series of Research Seminars, which you are strongly encouraged to attend. Talks by external speakers and School staff, conferences and live sessions provide a really stimulating educational experience.
This course is taught face-to-face at one of our UK campuses.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
Looking to start your postgraduate journey?
Our range of subjects and study modes can support your goals, take your next step with a postgraduate degree.Discover more
View the course facilities
There is an increasing demand for well-qualified English language teaching professionals around the world and the MA Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) opens up opportunities in teaching, educational management, materials design, training and publishing.
It also provides a foundation for postgraduate study and later specialisation in Applied Linguistics, business English, intercultural communication, study skills, English for Academic Purposes, teaching young learners, course design, testing and assessment, ICT for language learning, and more.
Fees and funding
Scholarships and bursaries
We have a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country and see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
This course is based in the School of Humanities, Language & Global Studies located in the Faculty of Culture and Creative Industries
For information on possible changes to course information, see our essential and important course information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at the University of Central Lancashire on our student contract page