Our MSc Surgery will equip you with the clinical skills and knowledge required to provide safe and high-quality patient care. You will undertake a one-year clinical placement with one of our partners in an NHS Trust based in Lancashire or Cumbria.
Working alongside a dedicated team of highly skilled clinicians, you’ll gain an in-depth understanding of pioneering surgical techniques, informed by cutting-edge scientific knowledge and research.
This course is ideal for trainee medical professionals who aspire to become highly qualified surgeons and other health professionals who wish to lead surgical care within their teams. It will offer the ability to utilise state-of-the-art techniques and bring about advancements in practice. As well as becoming a skilled surgeon or surgical lead, the course focuses on developing your academic skills so that you’ll have the confidence to integrate theoretical knowledge, new ideas and pioneering research into your practice in order to deliver the highest standards of patient care.
Throughout the course you’ll learn about the very latest developments in surgical practice, exploring everything from wound management to peri-operative assessment, laparoscopic and endoscopic techniques. You’ll develop in-depth knowledge of the common conditions and diseases which affect the organs and systems of the body. At the same time, you’ll learn advanced academic skills, exploring research methods for clinical practice, education and management.
Why study with us
- You will undertake a one-year clinical placement with one of our partners in an NHS Trust based in Lancashire or Cumbria.
- Designed to provide the NHS and other health organisations with outstanding surgeons and surgical leads who are trained in state-of-the-art surgical techniques informed by pioneering research.
- You’ll have the opportunity undertake an independent research study into the management of surgical patients.
What you'll do
- This course is ideal if you’re a medical professional who’s involved in surgical care – either in practice or in clinical or lab-based research.
- It’s also a great development opportunity if you work in another health-related profession and you’d like to gain experience in surgery and surgical-related practice.
- Considering a career in research? This qualification can be used as a basis for further study, including a PhD. We can help you to work towards getting your research published.
This course is taught face-to-face at one of our UK campuses.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
View the course facilities
On completion of this course you’ll have gained a wide range of skills in cutting-edge surgical techniques as well as hands-on experience working on the frontline of the NHS. These skills and knowledge will prepare you to become a highly competent surgeon with the ability to advance the standards of patient care within your workplace.
You will also have developed advanced research skills which will enable you to apply state-of-the-art ideas and techniques into your practice. You may also opt to pursue a career in research – this qualification opens doors to further academic study, including a PhD.
Fees and Funding
Scholarships and Bursaries
We have a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country and see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
This course is based in the School of Medicine located in the Faculty of Clinical and Biomedical Sciences
For information on possible changes to course information, see our Essential and Important Course Information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at The University of Central Lancashire on our Student Contract page