Remote & Rural Medicine
Whether you practise medicine in a rural primary care setting, a small district general hospital far from regional centres, or care for patients in much more remote or austere environments our MSc/PGDip/PGCert Remote and Rural Medicine course is designed to give GPs and other healthcare professionals the confidence and skills to provide the best care irrespective of the distances involved.
Why study with us
- Teaching takes place in the stunning surroundings of West Cumbria – you’ll be taught at the National Centre for Remote and Rural Medicine (NCRRM), based at our Westlakes campus near Whitehaven.
- You can choose to study this course in ‘bite-size chunks’ to enable you to enjoy a good work-life balance.
- You’ll be taught by an experienced team of academic staff, clinicians, leaders and managers who are experts in their fields.
What you'll do
- You can tailor your learning to the needs of your own professional practice – so you could learn about delivering medicine and urgent care from a fixed base, or as part of a medical team supporting other pursuits – such as mountain medicine, expedition medicine, medicine relating to extreme sports, or pre-hospital emergency care.
- If you're looking for a refreshing change of lifestyle and opportunities to enjoy the great outdoors and endless leisure opportunities, then you'll love studying at Westlakes.
- You’ll develop and apply research methodologies to help build your confidence in conducting independent research.
Following the pandemic, we have found that some courses benefit from a blended learning and teaching approach. Therefore, the majority of your teaching will be face-to-face on campus aside from a small amount of online teaching where we have learnt it works best.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
Discover our Westlakes Campus
Our Westlakes campus in Cumbria, offers global opportunities in stunning surroundings. Discover our outdoor campus and learn more about Westlakes.Explore the campus
View the course facilities
- The centre is accredited by the Royal College of Surgeons, a professional membership organisation and registered charity which exists to advance patient care. The Royal College of Surgeons of England, registered charity number 212808.
Achieving the MSc Remote and Rural Medicine demonstrates your interest and commitment to this area of clinical practice.
Whether you are already working in a rural and/or remote setting or aspire to do so in the future, this programme will provide you with the knowledge and skills to get you where you want to be.
Fees and funding
Scholarships and bursaries
We have a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country and see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
This course is based in the School of Medicine located in the Faculty of Clinical and Biomedical Sciences
For information on possible changes to course information, see our essential and important course information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at the University of Central Lancashire on our student contract page