Mechatronics & Intelligent Machines
Gain practical engineering experience on our Mechatronics and Intelligent Machines degree apprenticeship. Learn how to apply engineering principles to complex and unpredictable real-world problems.
Explore new technologies transforming the world in which we live. And learn the fundamentals of the many revolutionary changes that will affect how machines operate in the future.
Gain an understanding of intelligent machines and learn to develop mechatronic systems including:
- electromechanical systems
- programmable logic controllers
- precision technologies
- systems engineering
- engineering management
Our course equips you to work as a graduate engineer through the skilled application of your knowledge of mechatronics. It’s an opportunity to extend your knowledge in Intelligent Machines or update your qualifications with a view to promotion or a specialist role.
Why study with us
- Our Engineering Innovation Centre is located within one of the most intense engineering and manufacturing areas in the UK. It provides an integrated space for teaching, research and work on live projects with commercial partners.
- You'll have access to industry-standard facilities in manufacturing. Including Intelligent Condition Monitoring, Intelligent Structural Health Monitoring, Instrumentation, Mechatronic, Tribology and Materials Testing labs. As well as engineering and CNC workshops, a metals and 3D workshop, and a rapid prototyping suite.
- You’ll be tutored by world-class academics with both industry and research experience.
Why choose a Degree Apprenticeship?
With a Degree Apprenticeship, you get a great qualification and a career boost. It’s the perfect opportunity to develop your skills and knowledge through work-based learning, as you earn.
Who is this course for?
Are you an able and motivated individual looking to develop the skills, knowledge and exposure required by industries today?
If so then our BEng (Hons) Mechatronics and Intelligent Machines degree apprenticeship could be for you. We'll equip you with a thorough understanding of mechanical engineering principles and practices. And train you using state-of-the-art facilities and industry-standard software.
Overview and opportunities
- Hear from internal and external expert speakers from the industry. These guest lectures provide invaluable insight into the needs and roles of Mechatronics and Intelligent Machines engineers and can open further career opportunities.
- You’ll develop a critical understanding and systematic use of the key aspects of mechatronics systems engineering including acquisition of intelligent machines.
- Learn to accurately use established techniques of analysis. Including knowledge of a range of simulation methods in engineering design and analysis.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
Considering a Degree Apprenticeship?
If you're considering a degree apprenticeship route for your studies, you can chat to our current students to find out more about your chosen subject and life studying with usFind out more
View the course facilities
Study in our Engineering Innovation Centre (EIC)
During your studies with us you’ll benefit from our new £35 million EIC building which provides an integrated teaching space in state-of-the-art facilities.Find out more
Future careers and job role
On this engineering degree apprenticeship course, you'll gain specialist skills in mechatronics and intelligent machines engineering. It is a good base for a career in a range of roles associated with system engineering, test engineers and maintenance engineering.
Information for employers
An apprentice is employed to do a real job while studying for a formal qualification. Usually, they'll study for one day a week at one of our campuses or training centres.
This course meets Apprenticeship Standards, your apprentice will have the knowledge and skills to either succeed in their chosen career or progress to the next apprenticeship level.
Apprentices follow an approved study programme. This means they’ll gain a nationally-recognised qualification at the end of their apprenticeship.
They’ll study a broad range of skills and knowledge that can be applied to their professional practice.
Levels 4 and 5 of this course include; Core Skills for Chemistry, Introduction to Chemical Concepts, Synthesis and Analysis of Molecular Materials, Professional Skills Development.
Benefits to the employer
- Successful graduates will have an increased ability and skillset within the sector. This will enhance a company’s reputation with external consumers, through investing in their own workforce.
- Apprenticeships can provide a way to develop your business and the leaders of tomorrow. While also creating a more motivated and productive workforce.
- Apprenticeships can provide a way to a succession plan, enabling specific skill sets to be retained within your business.
This course is based in the School of Engineering located in the Faculty of Science and Technology
For information on possible changes to course information, see our Essential and Important Course Information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at The University of Central Lancashire on our Student Contract page