Have you spent most of your life taking things apart to see how they work? If so, the Mechanical Engineering, BEng (Hons) - Degree Apprenticeship is for you. We’ll develop you into an engineer who can apply basic engineering concepts and mechanical processes and use them to design new devices and systems.
Why study with us
- Engineering at the University of Central Lancashire is ranked in the UK's top 20 according to the Complete University Guide 2020.
- Located within one of the most intense engineering and manufacturing areas in the UK, our £35m Engineering Innovation Centre provides an integrated space for teaching, research and work on live, real-world projects with commercial partners.
- You’ll use your knowledge of fundamental engineering principles, such as mechanics, materials, thermo-fluids and computer-aided design, to analyse and design objects and systems with motion.
Discover our Mechanical Engineering courses
Why choose a Degree Apprenticeship?
With a Degree Apprenticeship you get a great qualification and a career boost. It’s the perfect opportunity to develop your skills and knowledge through work-based learning, as you earn.
You’ll grow and nurture your talent through the forward-thinking businesses we collaborate with to offer a Degree Apprenticeship.
Who is this course for?
We are looking for able and motivated, high-calibre students looking to develop skills, knowledge and exposure required by today’s industries.
Mechanical Engineers are involved with the design, simulation, analysis, testing, manufacturing, control, operation and maintenance of mechanical systems.
This course will equip you with a thorough understanding of mechanical engineering principles and practices. We will train you using the state-of-the-art facilities and industry-sort software.
What you'll do
- The course and hands-on experience provide a base for future progression to Chartered Engineer status.
- You’ll develop skills associated with the whole mechanical engineering product cycle.
- You’ll be tutored by world-class academics with both industry and research experience.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
Study in our Engineering Innovation Centre (EIC)
During your studies with us you’ll benefit from our new £35 million EIC building which provides an integrated teaching space in state-of-the-art facilities.Explore the EIC
View the course facilities
This course has been designed to meet the professional standards of the Engineering Council for initial registration as an Engineering Technician (Eng Tech) in partnership with the Institution of Mechanical Engineers.
Further professional development and registration is subject to you successfully completing appropriate learning, developing appropriate competencies, and undergoing professional review.
- This MEng course is accredited by the Institution of Engineering Designers as meeting the academic requirement for membership and registration for Chartered Engineer with the Engineering Council.
Information for employers
An apprentice is employed to do a real job while studying for a formal qualification, usually for one day a week at one of our campuses or training centres.
This course meets Apprenticeship Standards and your apprentice will have the knowledge and skills to either succeed in their chosen career or progress to the next apprenticeship level.
Benefits to the employer
- The programme is a great way to address skills and knowledge gaps in your workforce, retain and attract staff who want opportunities for professional development through a high-quality degree.
- Recruit from our pool of bright students with the core skills, knowledge and work-readiness to help contribute to your business.
- If your payroll is under £3m, you don’t need to pay the Apprenticeship Levy. However, you can get funding towards the cost of training and assessment of apprentices. You only pay 5% - the government will co-fund the other 95% (up to the funding band maximum).
This course is based in the School of Engineering and Computing
For information on possible changes to course information, see our essential and important course information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at the University of Central Lancashire on our student contract page