Interested? See
BEng (Hons)

Civil Engineering

Civil Engineer - Level 6
6 Years
September 2023
Campus Taught

Immerse yourself in the concepts and applications of the building blocks of civil engineering on our Civil Engineering, BEng (Hons) - Degree Apprenticeship. You’ll learn how to provide technical and management input into the development of solutions for complex civil engineering problems.

Why study with us

  • You’ll also have access to our materials laboratory, fluid and thermodynamics laboratory, and computer-aided design (CAD) suites featuring the very latest 3D design software.
  • Located within one of the most intense engineering and manufacturing areas in the UK, our £35m Engineering Innovation Centre provides an integrated space for teaching, research and work on live, real-world projects with commercial partners. 
  • Accelerate your progress and develop into a professional role as you combine study with work. The flexibility of the course will guide and shape your future career.

Take a look at some of our Engineering facilities

Why choose a Degree Apprenticeship?

With a Degree Apprenticeship you get a great qualification and a career boost. It’s the perfect opportunity to develop your skills and knowledge through work-based learning, as you earn.

You’ll grow and nurture your talent through the forward-thinking businesses we collaborate with to offer a Degree Apprenticeship.

Who is this course for?

We are looking for able and motivated, high-calibre students from within UK or overseas.

This course will equip you with a thorough understanding of civil engineering principles and practices.

Civil Engineers require a broad skills base to work in areas including sustainable construction, structural integrity, geotechnics (engineering behaviour of earth materials), materials, tunnelling, marine and coastal engineering, water, waste management, flood management, transportation and power.

You might work in public and private sector organisations including local authorities, central government departments and agencies, engineering consultancy practices, contracting firms, or research and development organisations.

What you'll do

  • You’ll practise in the broad area of civil engineering or specialise either as a Structural Engineer, Environmental Engineer or Geotechnical Engineer.
  • Get to grips with the principles and concepts of engineering, underpinned by a sound knowledge and understanding of scientific principles.
  • Our civil engineering degree apprenticeship course stands out due to our unique location. We are situated in a region that boasts a wide range of cutting-edge engineering and technologically-advanced organisations.

Module overview

Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.

View the course facilities


Study in our Engineering Innovation Centre (EIC)

During your studies with us you’ll benefit from our new £35 million EIC building which provides an integrated teaching space in state-of-the-art facilities.

Explore the EIC

Information for employers

An apprentice is employed to do a real job while studying for a formal qualification, usually for one day a week at one of our campuses or training centres.

This course meets Apprenticeship Standards and your apprentice will have the knowledge and skills to either succeed in their chosen career or progress to the next apprenticeship level.

Benefits to the employer

  • The programme is a great way to address skills and knowledge gaps in your workforce, retain and attract staff who want opportunities for professional development through a high-quality degree.
  • Recruit from our pool of bright students with the core skills, knowledge and work-readiness to help contribute to your business.
  • If your payroll is under £3m, you don’t need to pay the Apprenticeship Levy. BUT you can get funding towards the cost of training and assessment of apprentices. You only pay 10% - the government will co-fund the other 90% (up to the funding band maximum).

This course is based in the School of Engineering and Computing

For information on possible changes to course information, see our essential and important course information

You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at the University of Central Lancashire on our student contract page