Education and Training PGCE

Education and Training PGCE




Partner Institution

Why study this course?

The Post Graduate Certificate in Education (Education and Training) is a nationally recognised qualification for teachers, trainers and tutors in the Further Education and Skills Sector. The UCLan Teacher Education Partnership offers you the exciting opportunity to study at one of a range of Colleges across the North West region.

  • Duration:

    The full time course takes one academic year and the part time course takes two academic years

  • Level:


  • Campus:

    Partner Institution

  • Award Type:


  • Fees:

    Please contact the partner institution for information about fees

Entry Requirements

• An honours degree
• You must be qualified to teach in a subject that is part of the Further Education and Skills Sector or Sixth Form Curriculum. Therefore, if some/all of the teaching is to be undertaken in a subject different to your honours degree you will need a Level 3 (QCF) qualification in the subject you will be teaching.
• 5 GCSE’s at grade A-C (or equivalent) to include English
• The ability to communicate fluently, accurately and effectively in professional spoken English (IELTS 7.5 or equivalent).

Please note that applicants wanting to teach English or maths will have to complete an additional entry assessment to demonstrate their content knowledge and skills. This may impact on the acquisition of a suitable teaching practice placement and therefore additional time must be factored for this.

Further Information

The Further Education and Skills sector includes colleges, training providers, sixth forms, adult and community learning, prison education and apprenticeship provision. There are opportunities to teach a wide range of vocational courses and subjects that will help students of all ages to develop their skills and get jobs.

Where can I study full time?
You can study full time at the following colleges: Blackburn, Burnley, Carlisle, Kendal, Runshaw, Wigan & Leigh and Wirral Metropolitan.

Where can I study part time?
All of the partner colleges, with the exception of Kendal College and Runshaw College, offer the course on a part time basis.
This is suitable for those who are already teaching (in-service) as well as those who are new to teaching.

How do I apply?

Please apply directly to the college(s) of your choice, using the special application form they will send you. The contact details for each college can be found on the right under Partner Institutions.

What subjects can I teach?
The Further Education and Skills sector offers a broad range of subjects. Your degree must be in the subject you want to teach, and you must be willing to develop your subject specialist skills and knowledge.

If you wish to teach maths and English (Functional Skills) up to GCSE level in the sector , you should consider the subject specialist course provided by Burnley College.

What does the course involve?
The course is comprised of 6 modules that will prepare you for a career in teaching in the very exciting and evolving Further Education and Skills Sector. The course will introduce you to planning and principles of learning together with methods of teaching, learning and assessment. You will also learn about the underpinning educational theory to support your teaching practice and professional development.

Your teaching placement is a central feature of the course. You are required to teach for a minimum of 150 hours of teaching over the period of the course. On the part time course this is split into 75 hours for each of the 2 years.

Whilst on the course you will be supported by the course tutors and by a subject specialist mentor, both of whom will observe you teaching and work closely with you to develop your practice and skills. Your subject specialist mentor will also provide valuable guidance in the teaching of your curriculum subject.

“The quality of the training across the partnership is consistently good, with examples of outstanding provision.” Ofsted, November 2015.

How do I find a placement?
If you are not already employed as a teacher, colleges may be able to help with finding you a placement but this is not always guaranteed. You will also need to take responsibility for finding a suitable placement for your teaching experience.

How will I be assessed?
Your course is assessed through a combination of a professional teaching practice portfolio and assignment work. You will be assessed throughout the course, with no final examination. In additional to these formal assessments, you need to demonstrate professionalism at all times, meeting the Education and Training Foundation Professional Standards.

What does this course qualify me to do? 
The PGCE course at UCLan is primarily for those wishing to teach the 16+ age group. This qualification does not confer QTS or QTLS status. On successful completion of the course you can apply for QTLS status through the Education and Training Foundation which will enable you to be employed as a qualified teacher in a secondary school.

What jobs could this lead to?
A wide range of teaching opportunities exist across the Further Education and Skills sector. 69% of our July 2014 graduates are now employed in the sector.
‘Employment rates for trainees leaving their courses in 2014 are high’ Ofsted November 2015

A wide range of teaching opportunities exist across the learning and skills sector, in organisations including further education colleges, sixth forms, adult and community learning, the National Health Service, the prison service, the police service and in private sector training organisations.

The PGCE course at UCLan is for those wishing to teach primarily in Further Education and sixth form. Whilst this is not a school teaching qualification there are now employment opportunities in some schools, particularly for teachers of vocational subjects.

Partner Institutions

The UCLan partnership network offers higher education courses in 22 Partner Institutions, allowing students to study locally for their HE award. Partner students are able to take advantage of a wide-range of University facilities as well as accessing the facilities available at the Partner Institution.

Many of the courses run in partner institutions provide the opportunity to ‘Move On’ or progress to UCLan to complete a programme or to study for a higher qualification.


The full list of modules indicated on this course page are for information purposes only. Certain modules may not be delivered every year and delivery might be dependent on the number of students selecting a given module. When accepting your offer of a place to study on this course, you are accepting that it is possible that not all of these module options will be available. At (or before) the start of each academic year, you will have an opportunity to discuss your course and preferred module options with your tutor. The University will then do all it reasonably can to ensure that you are able to undertake your preferred module options.