This ½-day workshop will provide health care professionals with the knowledge and skills required to advise individuals on correct inhaler technique.
School of Community Health and Midwifery
No Partner College
25th February 2020 - 9am-12pm
Who should attend?
This workshop has been developed for health care professionals involved in the management of individuals taking inhaled drug therapy. For example: - general
practice nurses, pharmacists, pharmacy technicians, health care assistants, community nurses, district nurses, residential and nursing home staff, prison nurses.
Maximum number of participants: 10
- Appreciate that poor inhaler technique is widespread and results in reduced therapeutic effect and poor disease control
- Understand the importance of selecting an appropriate inhaler device
- Explore the use and care of spacer devices
- Gain some practical tips on how to assess inhaler technique to ensure the maximum amount of drug is deposited in the lungs
- Recognise common mistakes when using an inhaler device
- Be aware of the UK inhaler standards and competency document
- Understand good inhaler technique is key to optimal self-management
- Appreciate the cost associated with the incorrect use of inhalers
Katy Smyth is an experienced practice nurse who teaches on the asthma/COPD module and the non-medical prescribing course. Katy continues to work within the clinical environment to maintain her knowledge and support her educational and clinical role.
We have great links with employers including household names such as Sony, BAE Systems and Apple. We also have links with the smaller companies in the region and offer help and assistance to more than 1,000 of these – with many of our graduates staying in the region it is important we develop these relationships.
UCLan is recognised for its outstanding course provision which gives students the skills, knowledge, and personal attributes necessary to succeed at the University and in their future careers. To find out more about the experiences of our students, read our success stories.
You can contact the Student Fees and Funding Team via phone, email, or post. If you are on the campus you can call into The 'i', for advice.
Tel: +44 (0)1772 892440
Student Fees and Funding Team, Foster Building 117, UCLan, Preston, PR1 2HE
WORKSHOP COST: £45
For 2018/19 fees please refer to our fees page.