Entry and Admissions
Short Course / CPD
School of Sport and Wellbeing
No Partner College
Saturday 17th and Sunday 18th November 2018 9.00 – 5.00pm STFSC
Maximum course numbers = 14
(A waiting list after the course is full)
The role of the Level 1 coach is to: ‘Assist more qualified coaches, delivering aspects of coaching sessions, normally under direct supervision’.
By successfully completing a Level 1 coaching qualification, as part of a UKCC endorsed coach education programme, coaches will be able to:
• prepare for the delivery of coaching activities
- taking into account participants’ needs and motives
- establish a safe working environment
• deliver prepared activities of the coaching sessions
- establish working relationships with participants and others
- prepare the participants for the coaching activities
- support participants behaviour
- deliver prepared activities
- conclude the activities
• evaluate the effectiveness of coaching activities
- review the activities
- contribute to the evaluation of participants
- continuously develop personal practice
• gain knowledge and understanding of:
- safe and ethical coaching practice
- the types and methods of communication to establish effective working relationships with participants and others
- methods to develop participants’ performance and enjoyment
- adapting coaching practice to meet participants’ needs, their abilities and stages of development
- the methods to evaluate coaching activities and reflect on personal coaching
- the basic rules of the game -- contact, movement and dribbling.
- introducing the techniques and basic skills of Footwork, Passing, Shooting, Dribbling, Offence and Defence
- Introducing the game to beginners
Learning Environment & Assessment:
The coach tutors, assessors and verifiers are fully trained and accredited to deliver the best quality course and learning environment as is possible for each candidate.
We are committed to delivering academic learning of the highest quality, helping you to stretch your mind and fulfil your university ambitions.
Learning outcome & aims
- Enables you to work alongside a club coach
- NGB level 1 qualification
- The Basketball UKCC at Levels 1 qualification sit on the National Qualifications Framework
- The qualifications will meet the UKCC endorsed quality standard
- The qualifications have been designed to meet the needs of our coaches and vitally our players at the appropriate level
- The coach tutors, assessors and verifiers are fully trained and accredited to deliver the best quality course and learning environment as is possible for each candidate
- Supports coaches to develop ‘core’ coaching skills to support their players
Industry links & professional accreditation
We have strong links with a large number of sports organisations, including public and private sector providers, professional teams and clubs including Wigan Warriors RLFC, Preston North End FC and Preston City Council.
Work experience and international opportunities
At UCLan we work with a range of businesses and organisations, many of which provide work experience opportunities and project briefs to enable to you gain real work experience whilst you undertake your postgraduate programme. Your course tutor will advise on opportunities available within your course and the UCLan Careers Team can provide help, advice and guidance on how to apply for them and how to make the most of these opportunities.
The UCLan Careers Team offer ongoing supportive careers advice and guidance throughout your course and after graduation, along with a range of modules, work experience opportunities and events to help you acquire the skills to make you stand out to potential employers in today’s competitive market.
UCLan is recognised for its outstanding course provision which gives students the skills, knowledge, and personal attributes necessary to succeed at the University and in their future careers. To find out more about the experiences of our students, read our success stories.
From foundation courses through to world-leading research degrees, you can study a wide range of subject areas at UCLan. Whether you want to develop your knowledge in a subject you enjoy or gain further qualifications to enhance your career, at UCLan there are numerous progression routes for you to follow.
Fees & Funding
You can contact the Student Fees and Funding Team via phone, email, or post. If you are on the campus you can call into The 'i', for advice.
Tel: +44 (0)1772 892440
Student Fees and Funding Team, Foster Building 117, UCLan, Preston, PR1 2HE
Price:- Early Bird Offer £60 – students only) £75 Non-early bird – students only) £100 Non-Student (at all times)
How to Apply
£60 Early Bird Offer (sign up before 20/10/18 – students only)
£75 Non-early bird (after 20/10/18 – students only)
£100 Non-Student (at all times)
Payment made over the phone at UCLan Sports Arena (01772 761000) or in person at Sir Tom Finney Sports Centre.