This full day workshop is the first part of a 3-day course. The training programme is supported by the recent UNICEF baby Friendly Initiative guidance. This day will focus on enabling women to breastfeed, close and loving relationships, managing challenges and the role of communication.
Entry and Admissions
No Partner College
4 May 2018 09:00-16:00
By the end of the workshops participants will
- Develop an insight into the social and cultural aspects of infant feeding
- Develop the knowledge and skills to support mothers and babies to breastfeed as long as the want to continue for
- Recognise the special circumstances which may affect lactation and breastfeeding (e.g. prematurity, at risk babies) and be able to support mothers to overcome the challenges.
- Manage breastfeeding challenges with mothers (mastitis, thrush, insufficient milk supply)
- Students will draw on their knowledge and understanding of the wider social, cultural and political influences which undermine breastfeeding to promote, support and protect breastfeeding within their sphere of practice.
- Have an understanding of the principles of effective communication and current thinking around public health promotion strategies and approaches.
- Support and facilitate close and loving relationships and the impact on mothers and infant health and emotional wellbeing
Learning Environment & Assessment:
Anna Byrom is a senior lecturer in midwifery with an extensive background as a midwife, infant feeding specialist and working in education. Anna has assisted in the development of the new BFI standards into the midwifery curriculum in preparation to become a BFI accredited university.
Megan Blease is a lecturer in midwifery with a background in community midwifery and clinical practice education. Megan has supported the delivery of the BFI curriculum for midwifery and health visiting students and also is also supporting the BFI University accreditation.
Learning outcome & aims
We aim to create the perfect blend of knowledge, practical experience and relevance to equip UCLan graduates with the confidence and skills they need to get ahead in the world of work.
Industry links & professional accreditation
We have great links with employers including household names such as Sony, BAE Systems and Apple. We also have links with the smaller companies in the region and offer help and assistance to more than 1,000 of these – with many of our graduates staying in the region it is important we develop these relationships.
Work experience and international opportunities
At UCLan we work with a range of businesses and organisations, many of which provide work experience opportunities and project briefs to enable to you gain real work experience whilst you undertake your postgraduate programme. Your course tutor will advise on opportunities available within your course and the UCLan Careers Team can provide help, advice and guidance on how to apply for them and how to make the most of these opportunities.
The UCLan Careers Team offer ongoing supportive careers advice and guidance throughout your course and after graduation, along with a range of modules, work experience opportunities and events to help you acquire the skills to make you stand out to potential employers in today’s competitive market.
UCLan is recognised for its outstanding course provision which gives students the skills, knowledge, and personal attributes necessary to succeed at the University and in their future careers. To find out more about the experiences of our students, read our success stories.
From foundation courses through to world-leading research degrees, you can study a wide range of subject areas at UCLan. Whether you want to develop your knowledge in a subject you enjoy or gain further qualifications to enhance your career, at UCLan there are numerous progression routes for you to follow.
Fees & Funding
You can contact the Student Fees and Funding Team via phone, email, or post. If you are on the campus you can call into The 'i', for advice.
Tel: +44 (0)1772 892440
Student Fees and Funding Team, Foster Building 117, UCLan, Preston, PR1 2HE
For 2017/18 fees please refer to our fees page.