An Introduction to British Sign Language (BSL) certificate aims to enable you to use BSL in everyday situations, to communicate with Deaf people, and to raise students’ awareness of British Deaf people’s language, community and culture. It is an interesting and enjoyable certificate, which will also enhance your employability by gaining credits towards your CPD plan.
AWARD TYPE: Cert
LEVEL:Short Course / CPD
STUDY MODE: Part time
DELIVERY METHOD: Campus
COURSE LENGTH: 1 Semester
SCHOOL: School of Humanities, Language and Global Studies
PARTNER COLLEGES: No Partner College
START DATE: January to May
The Introduction to BSL certificate is designed to enable you to acquire a basic ability to communicate with Deaf people using British Sign Language (BSL) in everyday situations. The BSL content will resemble essential, real-life vocabulary, and vital language functions necessary for common situations and experiences where students may encounter Deaf people.
- Meeting and Greeting people
- Family and friends
- At Home
- Transport and work
- Sport, hobbies and activities
- Food and drink
- Calendar, weather and feelings
- Holiday and travel
This course will take place across the Lecture Room and Sign Language Lab, you will be assessed via a Portfolio including: Signed Conversation and Sign Production.
The aims of this certificate are:
• to provide students with an introduction to the essential elements of BSL
• to enable students to acquire a basic ability to communicate with Deaf people using BSL.
• to raise students’ awareness of Deaf people’s language, community and culture.
On successful completion of this module a student will:
• identify some of the basic grammatical constructions of BSL;
• be able to use basic BSL receptive skills;
• demonstrate their ability to sign straightforward information in descriptive or narrative BSL;
• show awareness of some of their own strengths and weaknesses in their current use of BSL.
• be able to hold a conversation in BSL;
• be aware of current issues pertaining to the Deaf community
You can contact the Student Fees and Funding Team via phone, email, or post. If you are on the campus you can call into The 'i', for advice.
Tel: +44 (0)1772 892440
Student Fees and Funding Team, Foster Building 117, UCLan, Preston, PR1 2HE
For 2018/19 fees please refer to our fees page.
To apply for this course please contact Ricci Collins direct:
Tel: +44 (0) 1772 89 3049