This one-day CPD course at the Preston Campus is for health professionals, including doctors, nurses, paramedics and midwives, delivering care in primary or secondary settings. The course complies with the Royal College of Emergency Medicine (RCEM) guidelines and is designed to enable participants with the knowledge and practical skills to enter the PoCUS Level 1 module within our postgraduate Medical Ultrasound programme. The course is delivered by an experienced team of clinicians using the latest bedside scanning equipment.
LEVEL:Short Course / CPD
STUDY MODE: Full time
DELIVERY METHOD: Campus
COURSE LENGTH: One day
SCHOOL: School of Medicine
PARTNER COLLEGES: No Partner College
START DATE: Friday 9th October 2020
Suitable for health professionals, including doctors, nurses, paramedics, midwives, Emergency Medicine staff delivering care in primary or secondary care settings.
The use of portable ultrasound is a growing field. PoCUS Level1 enables healthcare professionals to examine and diagnose patients in a diverse range of settings, supporting rapid and accurate diagnosis and management. This 1-day CPD course aims to equip participants with the knowledge and practical skills for entry onto PoCUS Level 1.
PoCUS Level 1 is now a mandatory requirement for those working towards Fellowship of The Royal College of Emergency Medicine.
Suitable for any healthcare professional with an interest in learning about the use of portable ultrasound, the course will cover an introduction to:
- Understanding the Physics of Ultrasound
- Focused Assessment with Sonography in Trauma (FAST)
- Assessment of the Abdominal Aorta for Aneurysm (AAA)
- Focused Echocardiography in Life Support (ELS)
- Ultrasound Guided Vascular Access (VA)
- Good Governance in PoCUS
The course is delivered by experienced clinicians with backgrounds and expertise in radiology, medical ultrasound, emergency medicine, cardiology and anatomy.
Teaching takes place in our modern classrooms and state-of-the-art clinical skills lab with access to bedside scanning equipment, handheld devices and phantoms to facilitate learning.
Taught in School of Medicine clinical facilities using the latest access to bedside scanning equipment, handheld devices and phantoms to facilitate learning.
The course is taught in UCLan’s Preston campus by a team led by Dr Nasir Hameed.
Nasir trained in Medicine and Radiology before specialising in ultrasound and worked internationally before taking up a post with NHS Trust Leicester. Nasir joined UCLan School of Medicine in December 2018 as Senior Lecturer in imaging and Lead for Medical Ultrasound.
Nasir will be joined in teaching the course by a team including:
- Dr Alex Valkov, Consultant in Emergency Medicine, Salford Royal Infirmary
- Dr Anup Mathew, Consultant Interventional Radiologist, Royal Preston Hospital
- Dr Peter Driscoll, Clinical Lead, Anatomy, School of Medicine, UCLan
- Dr Ayman Jundi, Consultant in Emergency Medicine, Royal Preston Hospital
- Prof Gershan Davis, Professor of Cardiovascular Medicine, School of Medicine, UCLan and Consultant Cardiologist, North Cumbria University NHS Trust
- Dr Umang Grover, Consultant in Emergency Medicine, Salford Royal Infirmary
- Dr John Mccafferty Consultant Chest Physician (Email: email@example.com)
Completion of this one-day CPD will enable participants to enter the PoCUS Level 1. module within our postgraduate Medical Ultrasound programme.
You can contact the Student Fees and Funding Team via phone, email, or post. If you are on the campus you can call into The 'i', for advice.
Tel: +44 (0)1772 892440
Student Fees and Funding Team, Foster Building 117, UCLan, Preston, PR1 2HE
Course cost: £300 for the one-day course
For 2018/19 fees please refer to our fees page.
Please apply directly via our Online Store. Click on ‘Book Course’ to secure your place.