Vivienne came to UCLan after a successful legal career as a solicitor. She has worked in the school for many years with teaching and academic interests reflecting her career in practice. Viv specialises in Litigation and Advocacy, Medical Law and Tort Law and was fundamental in introducing Pro Bono activities and clinical teaching methods into the school. Viv received Senior Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy (Now Advance HE) in 2018 and has developed a broad experience of leadership, coaching and managing change.
During her years at UCLan, Viv has been module leader across the curriculum and across UG, PG and Professional courses. For many years Viv was programme leader for the LPC and developed a keen interest in the development and challenges of Professional Legal Education. More recently Viv has overseen the introduction of apprenticeships into the school. Throughout her academic career, Viv has delivered papers on a range of topics but often relating to transferable legal skills, clinical teaching methods and significance, and the media influence on law-making (relating to perceptions of 'compensation culture'). She remains very interested in legal pedagogy and is keen to encourage colleagues in their legal design research and the use of technology (VR, AR) in enhancing the learning and teaching experience.
Before coming to Uclan in 2001, Viv was an associate solicitor in legal practice, spending her legal practical career across four north west law firms. She has often drawn on her experiences in the profession and was very pleased to win a Golden Rose award (voted for by students) for 'Real World Learning' for her delivery on the professional Legal Practice Course. Viv has always championed clinical teaching as a key method for embedding employability skills and whilst school lead for employability ensured students could access practical learning and experience through live client pro bono activities, placements and mentoring. As Head of School Viv has an empathic leadership approach, encouraging and supporting innovation and creativity from both students and staff.
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court (admitted to Roll 1997)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice, College of Law Chester (1995)
- LLB (hons) Lancaster University (1993)
- DCR (R) NW Lancs College of Radiography (1985)
- Golden Roses Award for Real World Learning 2018
- Solicitors Journal Awards Highly Commended as Legal Educator of the Year 2018
- Vice Chancellors Team Award for Innovative Learning 2010
- Clinical Teaching Methodologies
- Professional Legal Education
- Medical Law
- Senior Fellow of HEA
- Member of Law Society of England and Wales
- Member of the Society of Legal Scholars
- Member of Association of Law Teachers
- Director of the Law Central Applications Board