Valerie is a lecturer based in the Children's Nursing Team. She is a Registered Children's Nurse, a Registered Nurse Teacher and a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Valerie teaches and assesses on a range of subjects for Child, Adult and Mental Health Pre-Registration Nursing courses. She is a module leader for a level 5 Children's Nursing module, an academic advisor, academic assessor and placement link lecturer. Valerie's interest in student nurse placement experience lead to the publication of Children’s Nursing Placements: Pocket Guides for Student Nurses (Lantern Publishing, 2019).
Valerie completed her initial nurse training at Great Ormond Street hospital in 1993, where she worked as a staff nurse before undertaking a BSc (Hons) degree in Anatomy and Human Biology. Valerie worked as a biologist for several years before returning to practice as a Registered Children’s Nurse. Since then she has worked in the Paediatric High Dependency Units at the Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital and Alder Hey Children’s Hospital, and at the NIHR Children’s Clinical Research Facility, Manchester. Valerie joined the University of Central Lancashire in 2016 as a Lecturer in Children’s Nursing, gaining a Postgraduate Certificate with Distinction in Health and Social Care Education in 2019.
- Registered Nurse Teacher, 2019
- PGCert in Health and Social Care Education, University of Central Lancashire, 2019
- Preparation for Mentorship, University of Salford, 2014
- Foundation in Paediatric Critical Care, University of Salford, 2013
- Registered Nurse - Children, 2012
- Return to Practice, Manchester Metropolitan University, 2012
- BSc (Hons) Anatomy and Human Biology, University of Liverpool, 1997
- Registered Nurse (Part 8), 1993
- Sick Children's Nursing (Level 1), Charles West School of Nursing, Great Ormond Street 1993
- Nursing and Midwifery Council
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Children and Young People's Nurse Academics UK