Dr Susan Mary Twist
Since joining UCLan, Susan has taught across a range of programmes, including the LLB, Graduate Diploma in Law and Foundation Course. She is also involved with students undertaking the Masters in Legal Practice in in her role as dissertation co-ordinator. Her specialisation lies in Trusts and Equity; Land law and Landlord and Tenant and she also takes a keen interest in war crimes related themes in her capacity as Director of Studies/supervisor of several ongoing Ph.D projects.
She is the joint Law Undergraduate Course Leader and leads the School of Justice Undergraduate; Graduate Diploma in Law and LLM LPC dissertation and project modules. Her own PhD doctorate focussed on the legitimacy of the use of retrospective criminal law during the Nuremberg War Crimes Trials at the end of WWII. She is an experienced PhD supervisor, in which capacity she acts as Director of Studies on students' supervisory teams.
During her time in private practice as a solicitor from 1983-2003 (as an equity partner from 1995), Susan ran a busy branch office of her firm handling a yearly caseload of 400 files. She delivered a diversity of legal services, including conveyancing; landlord and tenant; will-drafting and probate; civil and criminal litigation; matrimonial and child-related disputes and employment. She has acted an external examiner on the Law and Criminology programmes at Edgehill University. Her doctorate (PhD) focussed on the legitimacy of the use of retrospective criminal law during the Nuremberg War Crimes Trials at the end of WWII.
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court, 1983
- Ph.D 2012 (external examiners - Peter Stirk [Durham] and David Fraser [Nottingham])
- PG Cert. H.E. 2006
- Law Society Final Examinations, College of Law, 1981
- LLB (Hons. First Class) University of Nottingham, 1980 (awarded Law Graduates' Association Law Prize in 1979 and 1980 for best second year results and best graduate performance respectively)
- UCLan Students Union Golden Roses Best Teaching Award 2012
- Trusts and Equity
- Landlord and Tenant
- War crimes and related themes
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court
- Member of the The Law Society's Family Law Panel 2001-2006
- Member of The Law Society of England and Wales
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Member of the Staff and Educational Development Association
- Member of the Society of Legal Scholars