Summer has extensive experience in designing and delivering courses related to both interpreting and Arabic; she gives talks and runs workshops at national and international levels (Qatar Foundation, the Hague, Institute of Translation & Interpreting, Chartered Institute of Linguists, etc). Additionally, Summer interprets and translates at high levels. Summer has submitted her doctoral thesis and has published articles on teaching interpreting, Islamists’ language and Taboo. Summer has experience supervising PhD students.
Summer teaches interpreting (all modes) & translation (general and specialised, plus editing) and participates in research methodology seminars. She collaborates with other universities on course design and delivery, and with publishers as a book reviewer. She supervises research students at all levels (UG to PhD).
Summer taught at a number of British universities as well as having given seminars as a guest lecturer in other overseas universities and institutes. She is a conference interpreter for many international organisations and works as a translator and transcriber for high profile clients. She has presented papers in Russia, Qatar, Romania, Hungary, Italy, China and the UK. She was a member on the Chartered Linguist applicants' review panel and for the National Register of Public Service Interpreters' application review panel. Summer collaborates with a few NW translation agencies in assessing their interpreting applicants. Summer has also collaborated with Lancashire County Council in designing (and taking part in) an assessment for interpreter recruitment and has given a number of talks to Lancashire Chamber of Commerce on setting up business in the Middle East.
- ITI Qualified Translator Examination, 2015
- MPhil in Translation and Interpreting Studies, University of Central Lancashire, Preston (Research topic: Interpreting Taboo Language with Reference to English and Arabic), 2014
- Diploma in Public Services Interpreting, Health option, Chartered Institute of Linguists, London (with distinctions), 2005
- Masters (Distinction), Translation & Interpreting English / Arabic, Salford University, Manchester, England, 2004
- Diploma in Public Services Interpreting, Law option, Chartered Institute of Linguists, London (with distinctions), 2004
- PG Diploma in Clinical Pharmacy, Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen, 2003
- Diploma in Translation, City University, London, 1998
- BSc Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Damascus, Syria, 1986
- Interpreting taboo. Islamists' Language post 9/11
- Teaching Interpreting and Translation
- Medical interpreting. Middle Eastern Culture
- Granted ISO17100:2015 status for Translation (ISO)
- Chartered Linguist, Chartered Institute of Linguists (CIoL)
- Qualified member of the Institute of Translation and Interpreting (ITI)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Member of the National Register of Public Service Interpreters (NRPSI)
- Associate Member of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain (RPSGB)
- Member of the North West Translators Network (NWTN)
- Pharmacists’ Register, Ministry of Health, Syria