Simon is the School of Justice lead for Graduate Employment, Employer Engagement, Continuing Professional Development and Professionalism. He has taught on both undergraduate and postgraduate modules and works closely with local, national and international employers to deliver the award winning cJAM:Law careers event, workshops, mentoring and employer showcases providing students with valuable insights into the world of work and placement opportunities.
Simon works with all students in the School of Justice to help them develop graduate ready skills. He is the main contact in the School for employability and employer engagement and works closely with a network of local, national and international employers to provide a wide range of employability workshops, mentoring, employer talks and work placements. In 2018 Simon established the School's first Judges Marshalling Scheme in partnership with the local judiciary enabling students to gain valuable work experience by shadowing High Court Judges at Preston Combined Courts.
Simon joined UCLan in 2015 after a long career working in international and national law firms. He started his legal career as a commercial litigation solicitor and rose to become Director of Professional and Client Development in a leading law firm. Simon is passionate about raising awareness about the inequality of access within the legal profession and has spoken at International Conferences on social mobility and written numerous articles on the subject. In 2018, Simon organised the first Social Mobility in the Legal Profession Conference at a UK university to raise awareness of the inequality of opportunity for first generation university students wanting a career in the legal profession. The Conference welcomed a number of prestigious speakers and was attended by legal academics, legal professionals and law students from across the UK.
In 2009 whilst a solicitor, Simon created an educational workshop The Modern Lawyer aimed to raise awareness of the challenges of access for first generation students and providing a framework of activity to help university students build the necessary skills to succeed. Over 4,000 students from over 20 universities attended the workshops. Building on the success of the Modern Lawyer, in 2012 Simon created 5 STAR Futures a year long coaching and mentoring programme for year 10 students where legal professionals and students work together in monthly workshops to build employability skills for success.
- BA (Hons), History, University of Lancaster (St Martins College), 1993
- Common Professional Examination, Leeds Beckett University, 1995
- Legal Practice Course, University of Law, 1998
- Professional Skills Course, University of Law, 2000
- Diploma in Management, University of Central Lancashire, 2012
- National Undergraduate Employability Award Outstanding Contribution to Work experience, 2020
- UCLan University Stars Award for exceptional student experience, 2019
- Financial Times Innovative Lawyers Award, Highly Commended for 5 STAR Futures programme, 2015
- Law Society of Scotland CSR Award, 2015
- Scottish Business in the Community Education Award, 2015
- Business in the Community Schools Partnership Award National Finalist, 2015
- Employers Network for Diversity and Inclusion, Community Impact Award, National Finalist, 2015
- Business in the Community, North West Volunteering Award, 2014
- Business in the Community, Community Impact Award, Highly Commended, 2014
- Liverpool Law Society, Work in the Community Award, 2013
- Graduate Employment
- Work Placements
- Graduate Skills
- Member of The Supreme Court of England and Wales
- Member of the Law Society of England and Wales
- Member of the Society of Law Teachers