Robin is a highly skilled and experienced professional who has clearly demonstrated academic leadership and development in a range of roles including Academic Planning and Marketing Director, Head of the School of Business, Division Leader and Course Leader both in the UK & in Hong Kong.
Robin is currently Head of the School of Business leading a wide range of business-related areas. He also has a very strong international interest teaching and leading programmes in South East Asia. He has also published in a number of International business related journals and is a high profile ‘Business Expert’ with regular appearances on BBC TV and Radio, Sky News and various national and regional newspapers. Robin's recent publications are:
- Riding, D., Campaniolo, D. and Carey, R. (2014) ‘Customer expectations and perceptions of food product quality in the UK discount grocery sector Business and Globalisation, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp.91–103.
- Ryding, D., Navrozidou, A. and Carey, R. (2014) ‘The impact of eco-fashion strategies on male shoppers’ perceptions of brand image and loyalty Int. Jn Business and Globalisation, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp.173–196.
- Ryding, D., Vignali, G., Carey, R. and Wu, M. (2015) ‘The relative significance of product quality attributes driving customer satisfaction within the fast fashion market: a UK perspective’, Int. J. Business Performance Management, Vol. 16, Nos. 2/3, pp.280–303.
- Ryding, D., Vignali, G., Carey, R. and Caratu, M (2016) ‘21st Century luxury fashion retailers’ marketing strategies’ Int. Jn Business and Globalisation, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp.79–103.
Guest Editor International Journal of Sales, Retailing and Marketing, Vol. 3, No. 3, 2014 Robin's recent UK media appearances include:
BBC News, 17 December 2018.
Discussing online retailer ASOS’ drop in November sales - Sky News, 22 June 2018.
Discussing Airbus and Brexit on Sky News - BBC News, 22 March 2018.
Discussing the challenges facing high street retailers - The One Show, 1 November 2017.
Discussing gambling advertising within sports broadcasts - BBC Breakfast, 11 November 2015.
Discussing television advertising - 5/7/18 and 7/7/18, independent.co.uk – reaction to customers’ spending during the World Cup 11/7/18, BBC Radio Lancashire - reaction to customers’ spending during the World Cup 4/9/18, BBC News Online and BBC Newsbeat – Nike’s use of Colin Kaepernick in its new advert 23/11/18, BBC Radio Manchester – Black Friday sales 17/12/18, BBC News Afternoon Live (using our Globelynx studio) – ASOS retail figures 17/6/19, Lancashire Post – the future of Preston’s main shopping street 17/7/19, Daily Mail, Daily Mail online and This is Money – the 1980s advertising campaign which did not help women realise the rise in state pension age 2/9/19, BBC Radio 5Live – the effect of Brexit on businesses within Lancashire 22/10/19, BBC Radio Manchester – early Christmas retail build-up 26/11/19, BBC Radio Lancashire – Black Friday 17/12/19, BBC News at Ten and BBC News – how national government spending will take time to reach the North after large Conservative gains in northern areas 1/5/20, BBC Radio Manchester – how the high street will cope after COVID 19.
Prior to working in the University sector Robin had a very successful career in marketing, advertising and business development roles in major media organisations such as BBC Worldwide (the global arm of the BBC) and News International (Fox). Robin has also worked for the Daily Mail & General Trust, The Daily Express, The Times and The Sunday Times. Robin has a very keen interest in global business issues, the rise of the South East Asian economies, the motor sector, retail and global branding. As well as a very strong academic and industry profile Robin is also an accomplished sportsperson and fully qualified in several disciplines including mixed martial arts, Pilates and yoga.
- Professor – Chair in Management and Planning - University of Vitez (April 2020)
- University of Vitez (2014- 2017) Doctorate of Science and PhD
- PhD topic ‘Intercultural adaptation: Enhancing Chinese students’ learning experiences in a UK business school’
- University of Central Lancashire (2014-2015) Masters of Professional Practice in Education MEd
- University of Central Lancashire (2013-2014) P Dip Professional Practice in Education
- Staff and Educational Development Association SEDA – Learning, Teaching and Assessing Award
- University of Central Lancashire (2012-2013) P Cert TL HE
- Staff and Educational Development Association SEDA – Supporting Learning Award
- University of Central Lancashire (2011-2012) Cert HE (Teaching)
- University of Hull (1992-1993) Masters in Business Administration (MBA)
- Coventry University (1985-1988) LLB (Hons) Business and Law
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Marketing