Mark’s love of dental technology combined with a passion to help people become more successful led to a life-changing career move from dental laboratory owner to senior lecturer at the Centre for Dental Technology Studies at Manchester Metropolitan University. His desire to improve himself and further develop the discipline of dental technology led to him joining the postgraduate team at the School of Dentistry at the University of Central Lancashire to set up one of the first courses in Clinical Dental Technology. In 2018 Mark as one of a team of academics created the first full-time Bachelor of Science (Hons) Degree in Clinical Dental Technology which started in September 2019.
Mark has made a significant contribution to the discipline of dental technology through writing and presenting on professionalism and professional development. He was awarded Fellowship of the British Institute of Dental and Surgical Technologists to recognise this work. Mark’s own personal development has led to his role as a senior lecturer in Clinical Dental Technology. Furthermore, Mark is also an admissions tutor for the Bachelor of Science Degree in Clinical Dental Technology, and further to this Mark supervises postgraduate MSC students’ projects on restorative subjects in dentistry.
Mark has an extensive commercial background working as a dental technician in both the NHS and private sector of dental technology. Mark is also a practicing clinical dental technician at UCLan Community Dentists and has practiced at Lancashire Health Care Trust. He is currently is registered as a Dental Care Professional with the General Dental Council (GDC). He has acted as an external advisor and reviewer for the University Cardiff and Wales Institute and the Open University. His international contribution to dental technology culminated in acting as a consultant for the United Nations Education, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO). He organised and facilitated UNESCO education workshops to develop programmes and syllabus content for the Dental Technology within countries of Libya and Nigeria. In 2019 began working as an educational associate for the GDC supporting staff and lay members of the GDC to quality assure education and training programmes for Dental Care Professionals. In June 2020, Mark started working collaboratively with the British Academy of Clinical Dental Technologists to explore ways to develop the professional practice of student and registered clinical dental technicians.
- Diploma in Clinical Dental Technology, Royal College of Surgeons England 2014
- Master of Arts in Professionalism, Manchester Metropolitan University, 2012
- Master of Science in Management, Manchester Metropolitan University, 2003
- Certificate in Adult Education, Bolton Institute 1999
- The Vice Chancellors Award for Excellence in Teaching and Learning
- Vice Chancellors Award University of Central Lancashire, 2014
- Removable and Fixed Prosthodontics
- Learning Networks
- Activity Theory
- Fellow of the British Institute of Dental and Surgical Technologists
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Dental Care Professional General Dental Council
- Educational Associate General Dental Council
- Examiner Royal College of Surgeons (Edin)
- External Examiner Cardiff Metropolitan University