Marcus is an experienced business professional and award winning entrepreneur who exchanged the board room for the class room at UCLan in 2016. He brings a wealth of ‘real world’ practical experience to his enterprise and entrepreneurship teaching at both undergraduate and post graduate (MBA) level.
Attempting to bring entrepreneurship in practice to life within my teaching, conference presentations and published articles. For example, Account of Practice published in Industry and Higher Education Journal, 2021, “Lessons learned by educator and students through experiential entrepreneurship”
Marcus has 25 years of business experience ranging from production management in the UK and US textile industry, management consultancy and setting up and running his own successful online business.
As a management consultant Marcus worked with a wide range of SME and blue-chip clients in sectors as diverse as aerospace, printing, healthcare, food production, packaging, timber supply, aluminium smelting, retail and merchant banking. He realised that no matter what the company did they always had very similar problems revolving around people, processes and strategy.
In 2001 Marcus started taking an interest in the rapidly emerging use of websites and Google and set up a web development business. This led to the creation of iknow-uk in 2003, a very successful online hotel booking website. After growing the business to a turnover over £2M in eight years Marcus semi-retired and eventually left the business in 2016 through a management buyout.
Marcus now focusses on teaching students to be more enterprising and entrepreneurial and has received wonderful student feedback about the modules he delivers in a fun, practical manor.
- Fellow HEA, 2020
- MSc Ergonomics, Birmingham University, 1990
- BA (Hons) Industrial Design, Newcastle Polytechnic, 1989
- 2019, Business/Industry Collaboration, Educate North Awards
- 2010 - BT Essence of the Entrepreneur
- 2009 - Growth Strategy of the Year, Northern Region, National Business Awards
- 2008 - Best Use of Technology, North West Region, National Business Awards
- 2007 - Best of Lancashire, North West Digital Industries Big Chip Awards
- 2006 - Excellence in E-Business, Lancashire Business Awards (BIBAs)
- 2005 - Best Commercial Website, North West Digital Industries Big Chip Awards
- 2005 - Start Up Business of the Year, NW Society of Chartered Accountants
- MD4044 - Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice
- Enterprise Education