Kevin is a former newspaper and TV journalist who teaches applied journalism at UCLan. He is the module leader for 1) Media Law And Regulation 2) Politics And Society, on the UCLan undergraduate BA(Hons) Multimedia Journalism degree, the BA (Hons) Sports Journalism degree and the postgraduate Masters in Multimedia Journalism.
Kevin is part of the journalism department's expert team that continues UCLan's 55 years-plus tradition of developing the next generations of multimedia journalists. His modules give undergraduate and post-graduate students the opportunity to acquire the vital knowledge of media law, media regulation, and how local and national government functions, that they need in order to be effective journalists. With colleagues he also helps prepare students to;
a) Sit the Diploma In Journalism exams set by the industry-recognised accreditation body, the National Council For The Training Of Journalists (NCTJ)
b) Achieve the national standards set by the industry-recognised accreditation body, the Broadcast Journalism Training Council. (BJTC)
How To Survive The Falling Axe
Kevin worked as a full-time staff journalist for over 20 years before he began lecturing in the subject. He entered the journalism industry as a freelance reporter/photographer and his career includes four years as a newspaper editor – during which time his title won two Newspaper Society awards (2001, 2003) - and four years as a TV news reporter (Commended, RTS North West Awards 2006).
- PGDip. Professional Practice, University Of Central Lancashire, 2018
- PGCert. Teaching In Higher Education, Edge Hill University, 2014
- Diploma In Management Studies, Oldham Business Management School, 2002
- BSc. Biological Sciences, Manchester Polytechnic, 1982
- Media law and regulation; Open justice; Public affairs; Playing guitar, drums and bass; Microscopy; Firenze.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. https://www.advance-he.ac.uk/
- Member Of The Society Of Editors.
- Legate of Ifra Newsplex Converged Newsroom Role Training at University Of South Carolina, USA.