Joanne is Deputy Head of School for Students and Teaching and supports the Head of School and the Senior Leadership Team to lead and manage resources to ensure that students receive the best experience possible. Joanne is a firm believer in creative approaches to learning and teaching and is passionate about mental health and well-being promotion.
As Deputy Head of School for Students and Teaching, Joanne oversees the student experience from application to graduation ensuring that this experience is the best it can be. Joanne works across the School to ensure that resources and quality are maintained and that learning and teaching initiatives are supported and continually reviewed.
Joanne’s career in healthcare and education has spanned over 25 years. Joanne qualified as a mental health nurse in 1995 and worked in clinical practice and clinical management before taking up a post in full time higher education. Joanne has worked as a lecturer, senior lecturer, associate director and manager with a strong emphasis on encouraging staff development and creative approaches to curricula design and implementation. Joanne has successfully led large scale professional health curricula development projects both at UCLan and elsewhere. In terms of the sporting environment Joanne has been a volunteer in grass roots sport and is a rugby league supporter, which is where her research is currently situated. She is a keen advocate of wellbeing and mental health promotion in the educational and sporting context. Joanne uses ethnography to research this area and has published and presented both domestically and internationally on issues of mental health, sporting culture and learning and teaching.
- PHD CANDIDATE, UCLan
- MA HEALTHCARE LAW, University of Salford, 2007
- MA COMMUNITY AND HEALTHCARE ETHICS, UCLan, 2002
- POST GRADUATE CERTIFICATE IN EDUCATION (PGCERTED), University of Salford, 2002
- BSC (HONS) NURSING STUDIES, University of Salford, 1997
- DPSN, Bolton and Salford School of Nursing, 1995
- Mental Health and Wellbeing
- Sports culture
- creative pedagogies
- Senior Fellow HEA
- NMC registered nurse and nurse teacher; Governor for Lancashire and South Cumbria NHS Foundation Trust
- External Examiner University of York.