Guanyu teachers Chinese language modules across all year groups. Her teaching focuses on Business Chinese Conversation and Advanced Chinese. In recognition of her contributions to teaching, Guanyu has been awarded Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy since January 2018. Her academic interests include second language acquisition and language variation in speech community.
Guanyu has taken responsibilities as the Subject Leader of Chinese since September 2018. Apart from developing teaching and assessment materials, she also wrote a Teachers Handbook and initiated a year-long teacher training programme for new teachers in Chinese Team. In addition, Guanyu cooperated with colleagues and put experience of organizing students activities into one booklet called 'Introduction for Event Organizer'.
With nearly ten years' experience of teaching Chinese in UK HE, Guanyu has developed students-focused teaching style. Her teaching interests are how to help students to become a better learner inside and outside language classrooms. She believes in learning from reflection and learning from hand-on tasks in local life.
- MA Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language, University of Sheffield, 2011
- MA Linguistics and Applied Linguistics, Nanjing University, 2011
- BA Chinese Language and Literature, Beijing Normal University, 2008
- Foreign Language Acquisition
- Reflective Learning
- The British Chinese Language Teaching Society, Membership
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy