Edel is an experienced adult nurse and advanced practitioner in emergency care. She has teaching experience including undergraduate and postgraduate nurses, medical students and interprofessional groups. She now teaches a range of subjects to a variety of student groups including BSc nurses, nurse degree associates and trainee nurse apprenticeships. Edel is a module leader and year tutor.
Edel contributes to delivering the faculty’s strategic priorities, which include the integration of excellent teaching, student engagement and support. She is a module leader and year tutor. She provides pastoral and academic support to students during their educational experience. Edel contributes to the planning, development, delivery and evaluation of new and related programmes within the school. She carries out a range of administrative duties and maintains student records. Edel maintains clinical competence through clinical activity and liaison with clinical services. She prepares clinical placements to enhance student experience, including educational audit, clinical liaison and clinical staff updates. She undertakes recruitment and selection of students to meet agreed targets. Edel contributes to the university quality assurance initiatives as required. She maintains personal and professional development to keep up to date.
Edel trained as a nurse in Kings College Hospital London where she developed clinical skills in acute medical, surgical, endocrinology, oncology, hepatobiliary, and renal nursing. She moved to the North East of England in 1996 where she continued to develop skills working on an acute assessment unit as a unit manager. She gained experience as a specialist nurse in anticoagulation and deep vein thrombosis (DVT) prevention and management. She then worked as a Lecturer Practitioner, working with undergraduate medical students and allied health professionals. She moved to Abu Dhabi in 2013 and worked as a senior lecturer gaining international experience in education management. Edel moved back to work as a senior lecturer for the University of Central Lancashire (UCLan) in 2019. Edel has developed a broad range of clinical and education skills whilst developing and implementing curriculum content within a healthcare and higher education setting. Edel started her Ph.D. in 2018.
- Master’s degree in clinical education(MclinEd), Sept 2009 - July 2012, University of Newcastle
- Post Graduate Diploma in Education, Sept 2000 - June 2002, University of Northumbria
- BSc (Hons) Nursing Science Degree, Sept 1997 - May 1999, University of Northumbria
- Diploma in Nursing Studies with Higher Award Sept 1993 - June 1995, Nightingale Institute, Kings College Healthcare, London
- Registered General Nurse Sept 1988 - Aug 1991, Nightingale Institute, Kings College Healthcare, London
- National Certificate in Applied Biology and Food Science Sept 1986 - June 1988, Regional Technical College, Co. Carlow, Eire.
- Currently developing research skills
- Edel is registered with the Nursing Midwifery Council NMC
- Edel is a Higher Education Award (HEA) Fellow