Roxanne is Director of Honour Abuse Research Matrix (HARM), an international research consortium working to establish evidence-based policies and front-line responses to honour abuse. She works with the Criminal Justice Partnership (Violence and Aggression), UCLan. Research Degree enquiries welcome. If you would like to do a PhD or MSc with Roxanne, please contact her directly firstname.lastname@example.org. For details about her training and consultancy portfolio please see HARM.
Dr. Khan is an expert in violence and aggression. As Director of HARM, she is responsible for coordinating a multi-disciplinary transnational network of researchers, practitioners, policy makers, support agencies and survivors working to develop sustainable evidence-based strategies in response to the global health crisis of honour abuse, in all its forms - violence, killings, forced marriage and FGM. HARM is recognised as an important knowledge transfer agency and a leading authority in the field of honour abuse research.
She is Academic Partner for Lancashire Partnership Against Domestic Abuse, a multi-agency steering group based at Lancashire Constabulary HQ. She is also Expert Advisor and Research Ethics Committee Reviewer, Centre of Expertise on Child Sexual Abuse, a multi-disciplinary team, funded by the Home Office and hosted by Barnardo’s. Roxanne has two decades’ experience of working with forensic clients and patients within the community, prison settings, and high-security hospitals, delivering individual therapy and group-based psychological interventions, as well as individually-tailored interventions and awareness programmes.
- PgCert, Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, UCLan, 2009
- PhD, Psychology, Glasgow Caledonian University, 2005
- MSc, Forensic (Legal and Criminological) Psychology, Glasgow Caledonian University, 2000
- BSc (Hons), Psychology and Sociology with Applied Social Policy, Queen MargaretUniversity College, Edinburgh, 1999
- Emerald Publishing Literati Award for Highly Commended Paper, 2019 for research paper "‘Honour’-based violence in a British South Asian community" published in Safe Communities in 2018
- True Honour Awards 2020 (nominee) hosted by IKWRO - Women's Rights Organisation
- Family and Community Violence
- Domestic Abuse and Homicide
- Sexual Coercion and Exploitation
- 'Honour' Abuse and Violence including Forced Marriage and FGM
- External Roles
- Expert Advisor and Research Ethics Committee Reviewer: Centre of Expertise on Child Sexual Abuse –Barnardo’s
- External Examiner, MSc Applied Criminology & Forensic Psychology, Napier University, Edinburgh
- Academic Partner: Forced Marriage, Honour Based Abuse and FGM steering group: Lancashire Partnership against Domestic Abuse.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Authority (HEA)
- Chartered Scientist, British Psychological Society
- Associate Fellow, British Psychological Society
- Chartered Psychologist, British Psychological Society