Dr Kartina A Choong
Dr Choong teaches a range of modules across the LLM, LLB, GDL and MBBS programmes. She also supervises PhD and MPhil theses, as well as projects and dissertations on taught postgraduate and undergraduate Law programmes. She is the Deputy Vice-Chair of UCLan’s Research Ethics Committee for Business, Arts, Humanities and Social Science (BAHSS). She also sits on the University Review Panel (URP) and is the Ethics Lead for the School of Justice.
Prior to joining the university in 2007, Dr Choong has held academic appointments at the Universities of Durham, Leeds Metropolitan and Reading. She has served, between 2002-2010, as a Subject Specialist in Medical Ethics and Religion for INTUTE: Arts and Humanities (formerly the HUMBUL Humanities Hub based at the University of Oxford). With over 20 years experience of teaching Law students, she has also provided training on various aspects of Medical Law to doctors, dentists, nurses, lawyers, hospital managers and clinic administrators. Some of these trainings are commissioned and funded by Health Education England, NHS Clinical Commissioning Groups and foreign universities.
She was the Course Leader for UCLan’s LLM in Medical Law and Bioethics (2007-2013); LLM/MA/PGDip in Forensic and Legal Medicine (2009-2017) and LLB programme (Burnley Campus). She has been a Visiting Professor at the Berlin School of Economics and Law (Germany), Charles University in Prague (Czech Republic), China University of Political Science and Law, Eötvös Loránd University (Hungary), Multimedia University (Malaysia), UCLan Cyprus, Université Paris Ouest Nanterre La Défense (France), University of Białystok (Poland), University of Groningen (The Netherlands) and University of Istanbul (Turkey).
- PhD Medical Law, Manchester University, 2001
- MA Islamic Studies, Leeds University, 2003
- MA(Econ) Applied Social Research, Manchester University, 1997
- Barrister-at-Law, Honourable Society of Lincolns Inn, 1995
- MA Health Care Ethics, Manchester University, 1995
- LLB (Hons) Law, Cardiff University, 1993
- PGCert Academic Practice, Reading University, 2007
- Best Poster Award, British Psychosocial Oncology Society Annual Conference, Cambridge University, 2016 (with L. Harkin, K. Beaver & P. Dey)
- Best Conference Paper, 5th Advances in Hospitality and Tourism Marketing and Management Conference, Japan, 2015 (with R. Gunputh)
- UCLan Award for Research Sabbatical, 2012 (£12,000), 2016 (£12,000) & 2019 (£10,000)
- International Association of IT Lawyers and Elsevier’s Institutional Award for High Quality Papers presented at the International Conference on Legal, Security and Privacy Issues in IT, Prague, 2008 (with J.P Mifsud Bonnici, D. Mendis and K. Serrano)
- Comparative Law
- Legal Pluralism
- Medical Law
- Medical Mediation
- Organ Procurement
- Professional Liability
- Religiously and Culturally-Sensitive End of Life Care
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Member of the Honourable Society of Lincolns Inn
- Member of the Society of Legal Scholars
- Member of the British Medical Journal (BMJ) Ethics Committee
- Member of the UNESCO Chair in Bioethics Unit at Edge Hill University's Medical School.
- Editorial Board member of the Journal of Medical Law and Ethics, and Applied Ethics: From Bioethics to Environmental Ethics
- External Examiner at the University of Mauritius (2011-2014)
- External Examiner at DeMontfort University (2010-2013)