John leads a range of modules on the BSc Sports Coaching and Performance, BA Sports Coaching and Development, and MSc Sports Coaching programmes. He supervises postgraduate and doctorate research and maintains links with a wide range of professional clubs and national governing bodies of sport. In recognition of his contributions to teaching, John is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. He is research active with a particular interest in coach learning.
John has published widely in coach education and learning and works closely with the Institute of Coaching and Performance. As a research degree tutor in the School of Sport and Health Sciences, John is responsible for supporting research students and monitoring their progress with their research programmes.
John joined UCLan in 2010 from his role as Regional Coaching Development Manager at The Professional Golfers’ Association (PGA). At The PGA, he helped embed the vision of 'Right Coach, Right Place, Right Time' in England and facilitated the implementation of the England Golf player development, coaching, and talent pathway in 12 counties across the North of England. He established county academies in 8 counties across the North of England and was also responsible for developing and managing a regional coach development, education, and mentoring programme in line with the National Club Coaching Programme. Prior to this, John was a Regional Development Officer at The English Golf Union. Here, he was responsible for raising the profile of golf in the North West of England, translating England Golf’s national framework for the development of golf into practical plans for 4 counties. This involved implementing the ‘Start’ and ‘Stay’ elements of the Whole Sport Plan national strategy on a local level. He established and developed a network of County Golf Partnerships and recruited and supervised a team of County Development officers. Before moving into Golf, John founded and managed Grassroots Sport UK, a coaching company which developed and delivered an innovative range of coaching programmes and teacher training workshops in school sports partnerships and local communities across the UK. He liaised and negotiated with partnership development managers, school sports coordinators, and community leaders, and managed an experienced team of professional sports coaches and instructors. During this time, John also lectured in Sports Coaching and Physical Activity at Edge Hill University as an associate tutor and has been involved in coaching football and golf across a variety of levels in both domestic and international settings.
- PhD Sports Coaching, University of Central Lancashire, 2015. Thesis title ‘Exploiting social learning as a legitimate tool in coach development’.
- PGCert in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, University of Central Lancashire, 2012.
- MPhil Sports Coaching (Education), University of Birmingham, 2011. Thesis title ‘An Investigation of the Mediators of Talent Development in Golf’.
- BSc (Hons) Sports Science, Lancaster University, 2005. Thesis title ‘The Design and Implementation of a Performance Index System for Football’.
- Senior Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy, 2019
- Coach Education
- Coach Development
- Coach Learning
- Editorial Board member, Journal of Qualitative Research in Sport Studies.
- Reviewer for Computers and Education; Qualitative Research in Sport, Exercise and
- Health; Journal of Sports Sciences; International Sport Coaching Journal; Sport, Education and Society.
- External Examiner Edinburgh Napier University.