John is a Senior Lecturer on our Sport and Physical Education team and has worked at the University since 2005. His passion is teaching health and fitness from both applied and theoretical perspectives.
John is a research active member of staff with responsibilities for both teaching and research within the fields of sport, human movement, health, fitness, strength and conditioning, physical education and exercise science. He is actively engaged in teaching at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. He is also a personal tutor, academic advisor and an internal moderator. He is the module leader for Lifestyle Physical Activity and Health, TL1163; Developing Healthy Lifestyles, TL2214; Applied Healthy Living, and Strength and Conditioning, TL3162 John is the course leader for MA Physical Education and School Sport. His role also includes research supervision for undergraduate and postgraduate dissertation students, including doctoral level.
John has over 25 years of experience teaching in higher education. He has taught at all levels of higher education from foundation degrees to undergraduate and post graduate degrees including doctoral supervision. He also has extensive experience in developing modules and courses. John has conducted, written and published quantitative and qualitative research projects. He has contributed to, and led, many projects in disciplines such as: surfing performance, strength and conditioning, mountain biking, energy expenditure, ergogenic aids, successful ageing, and responses to athletic training in youth athletes. His work has been published in peer reviewed journals, including: Journal of Sports Sciences, Professional Strength and Conditioning and Exercise Physiology. John has authored several books and contributed to several book chapters. His work has also been published in a wide variety of sports science journals and sports magazines.
- Advanced Certificate Research Students Supervision, University of Central Lancashire, 2012
- Ph.D. Sport and Exercise Science, University of Central Lancashire, 2011
- PGCE University of Central Lancashire, 2004
- MSc. Exercise and Nutrition Science, University of Chester, 2002
- BA (Hons.) Sports Studies, Chichester University, 1995
- Outdoor Writers and Photographers Guild Award for Excellence 2017
- Healthy Lifestyles
- Strength and Conditioning
- Human Movement
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Registered Nutritionist (RNutr)
- UKSCA Accredited Coach (ASCC)
- Functional Range Conditioning Mobility Specialist (FRCms)