Joel is course leader in Sport Business Management. He has taught in five universities and holds degrees from the University of Liverpool, Liverpool John Moores University and the University of Leicester. His research interests include football fandom, sports management, Magette events, and international social development
Joel has also had two books and attitude two others, he has also had 30 peer-reviewed journal articles published. He has given guest lectures in 20 universities across five continents.
Joel has considerable global experience, he has visited 170 countries over the past 20 years. He worked as a soccer coach in North America, has worked for various professional clubs and governing bodies in the UK, and has engaged in sport for development work in 30 countries. He had a column on a football website based in Japan for 10 years, and has risen for numerous broadsheets. He is a regular contributor to various broadcasters and has been the subject of more than 20 interviews.
- PhD - Management - University of Liverpool 2008
- MSc - Sport Management - Univesity of Leicester 2006
- MRes - Sport Science - LJMU 2003
- BSc - Science and Football - LJMU 2002
- Lecturer of the Year for Real World Learning - UCLan 2019
- Course Team of the Year - UCLan 2019
- Most Inspiring Lecturer - Liverpool Hope University 2014
- TL1115 - Sport Business Environments
- TL2050 - Sport Tourism
- TL3000 - Strategic Sports Business Management
- Sports mega events
- Peace building and sport
- Football fan culture.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy