Eduardo is a Senior Lecturer in Hispanic Studies and Deputy Director of the UCLan Research Centre for Migration Diaspora and Exile (MIDEX).
Eduardo teaches a wide range of subjects for our Modern languages Team: Spanish language, Literature, History and Cultural modules, as well as Translation Studies and Research Skills modules. He supervises undergraduate Translation Projects and Dissertations, as well as PhD projects. Eduardo's research interests lie mainly within the area of Contemporary Spanish Studies.
He has conducted research into the literature, culture and history of the Spanish Civil War and the Republican exile of 1939. In particular, he has published extensively on the literary work of the Second Generation of the Republican exile in Mexico. Further to this, Eduardo also has an interest in the area of Contemporary Spanish Flash Fiction. He is the author of El exilio en la poesía de Tomás Segovia y Angelina Muñiz Huberman (Oxford: Peter Lang, 2014), has published in international academic journals, such as Laberintos (2015 and 2017) and Lucero (2006), and has contributed to the following collective volumes: Un universo que se expande… los nuevos mundos de la minificción (La Laguna: Servicio de Publicaciones de la Universidad de La Laguna, 2017), Tomás Segovia (Valenciennes: Presses Universitaires de Valenciennes, 2014), Sobre la adaptación y más allá: trasvases filmoliterarios (Salamanca: Ediciones Universidad Salamanca, 2014) and El exilio republicano de 1939 y la segunda generación (Sevilla: Renacimiento, 2011).
Eduardo is the Modern Languages research lead within UoA26 and Deputy Director of the UCLan Research Centre for Migration Diaspora and Exile (MIDEX), which develops in-depth, state of the art, impactful and interdisciplinary analysis of transnational cultural, political, social, socio-legal and historical topics concerning the three main themes of migration, diaspora and exile.
Eduardo joined UCLan in September 2014 after three years of lecturing at Maynooth University (Ireland). He has also taught Spanish language and literature at the University of St Andrews, as well as Spanish literature at the University of Oxford. He is a National Teaching Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and a member of the Association of Hispanists of Great Britain and Ireland (AHGBI), the Society of Latin American Studies (SLAS) and the Sociedad Española de Literatura General y Comparada (SELGC). He collaborates with Grupo de Estudios del Exilio Literario (GEXEL) and is a member of the scientific committee of Revista Úrsula. He has also reviewed for several national and international academic journals, such as Bulletin of Spanish Studies (UK), Hispanic Research Journal (UK), Laberintos: revista de estudios sobre los exilios culturales españoles (Spain), Microtextualidades. Revista Internacional de microrrelato y minificción (Spain), Naveg@mérica. Revista electrónica editada por la Asociación Española de Americanistas (Spain), Romance Notes (USA), Revista Canadiense de Estudios Hispánicos (Canada), and Revista La Colemena (México).
Eduardo has a solid record of presenting at national and international conferences in Spain, Portugal, Mexico, UK and Ireland, and has been invited to deliver seminars at several national and international universities, such as Oxford University, Universidad de Málaga, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, University of Lancaster, Maynooth University, University of St Andrews and l'Université Paris-Sorbonne (Paris IV). Eduardo has organised a significant number of events over the years including the most recent international symposium, The 80th Anniversary of the Republican Exile of 1939: Lessons from and for a Modern World Symposium, which took place on the 5 and 6 December 2019. He is also the coordinator of the MIDEX Seminar Series and the Modern Languages Seminar Series, which have hosted more than 80 speakers over the las 5 years.
- PhD, University of St Andrews (UK), 2011 / Licenciado en Filología Hispánica, Universidad de Valladolid (Spain) (First Class), 2006
- L. J. 'Ferdy' Woodward Postgraduate Award (University of St Andrews): Most productive and influential postgraduate student, 2019
- School of Modern Languages Postgraduate Award (University of St Andrews): Contribution to the postgraduate intellectual community of the School, 2008.
- Spanish Literature / Exile Studies / Flash Fiction
- SCIENTIFIC CONTRIBUTION:
- Revista Úrsula (Spain), Member of the Scientific Committee
- Bulletin of Spanish Studies (UK), Reviewer
- Hispanic Research Journal (UK), Reviewer
- Laberintos: revista de estudios sobre los exilios culturales españoles (Spain), Reviewer
- Microtextualidades. Revista Internacional de microrrelato y minificción (Spain), Reviewer
- Naveg@mérica. Revista electrónica editada por la Asociación Española de Americanistas (Spain), Reviewer
- Romance Notes (USA), Reviewer
- Revista Canadiense de Estudios Hispánicos (Canada), Reviewer
- Revista La Colemena (México), Reviewer
- MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS and SCHOLARLY SOCIETIES:
- National Teaching Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, UK
- Association of Hispanists of Great Britain and Ireland (AHGBI)
- Sociedad Española de Literatura General y Comparada (SELGC)
- Society of Latin American Studies (SLAS)
- Grupo de Estudios del Exilio Literario (GEXEL)