Cameron McEwan is an educator and researcher at UCLan Institute of Architecture and a Trustee of the AE Foundation. Cameron’s research engages the city as a critical project and is published in arq, Drawing On, JAE, Lo Squaderno, MONU, the Venice Biennale, and elsewhere. He is writing a book entitled Analogical City.
Cameron is Year 2 Studio Leader and leads modules in Design, History & Theory, and Critical Context. He teaches across the undergraduate and postgraduate programme in Architecture and contributes to the University of Central Lancashire's collaborative course in Hong Kong VTC. Cameron is a PhD Supervisor in Architecture and welcomes expressions of interest for PhD supervision by applicants who are interested in pursuing the intersection between architecture and urbanism, design and theory, political and philosophical thought. He is particularly interested in PhD by Design proposals.
Cameron McEwan is an educator and researcher. His research focuses on the relationship between architecture, representation and subjectivity to engage the city as a critical project. Cameron is Year 2 Studio Leader and an Architectural Humanities Coordinator at UCLan Institute of Architecture and trustee of the AE Foundation, an independent research institute for architecture and education.
At the University of Central Lancashire he leads the Critical, Spatial, Technological Narratives Research Cluster and is Research Environment Lead for Unit of Assessment 32 Art and Design. Cameron holds his Masters in Architecture with distinction from Dundee School of Architecture and his PhD in History and Theory of Architecture from the University of Dundee Geddes Institute for Urban Research with a thesis on Aldo Rossi and the Analogical City.
Cameron has taught and led design studio and history and theory at all levels at institutions including: UCLan Institute of Architecture; Dundee School of Architecture, where he led the Rooms+Cities MArch Unit with Lorens Holm; Edinburgh Napier University School of Arts; University of Dundee School of Planning; Wuhan School of Architecture, China; and Hong Kong VTC.
Cameron’s texts and drawings are published in journals and venues including: arq: Architectural Research Quarterly, Drawing On, Journal of Architectural Education, Lo Squaderno, MONU, Scroope: Cambridge Architecture Journal, Outsiders for the 2014 Venice Biennale, Edinburgh Royal Scottish Academy, The Lighthouse Glasgow and elsewhere. With Samuel Penn, he edited Accounts (Pelinu, 2019). With Lorens Holm he is editor of the Architecture and Collective Life issue of Architecture and Culture (Taylor & Francis, 2020). Cameron is writing a book entitled Analogical City.
- FHEA Fellowship of Higher Education Academy (Advance HE), University of Central Lancashire, 2019. [Case study title: Between Critical Thinking and Critical Making in Architectural History and Theory]
- PhD in History and Theory of Architecture, Geddes Institute for Urban Research, University of Dundee, 2009-14. [Thesis title: The Architecture of Analogy: An Inquiry into Aldo Rossi’s Theory of the City, the Discipline, the Type, and the Analogue. Supervised by Dr. Lorens Holm and Professor Graeme Hutton]
- MArch with Distinction, School of Architecture, University of Dundee, 2008-09. [Thesis title: Analogical Dundee]
- BA (Hons) Architecture, School of Architecture, University of Dundee, 2007-08.
- BSc with Distinction, School of Architecture, University of Dundee, 2003-06.
- UCLan Research Catalyst Scheme Research Grant, 2019.
- Nominated for UCLan Roses Award for Teaching Excellence, 2018.
- Society of Architectural Historians of Great Britain (SAHGB) Research Grant, 2018.
- Educate North Awards International Education Course of the Year, 2018. [As part of BSc (Hons) Architectural Studies Team at Hong Kong-UCLan]
- Edinburgh Napier Students’ Association Excellence Awards, 2016.
- University of Edinburgh and Scottish Graduate School for Arts & Humanities (SGSAH) Research Development Fund, 2015.
- University of Dundee Geddes Institute for Urban Research PhD Fee Waive, 2009-2014.
- Selected for Royal Scottish Academy New Contemporaries Award for Architecture, 2010.
- RIAS Drawing Award, 2006.
- Advisory Board Member
- Architecture & Collective Life. The 16th Annual AHRA International Conference, University of Dundee, November 21–23, 2019.
- Foundation for Architecture & Education (AE Foundation) [From 2014]
- Invited Critic
- Dundee School of Architecture
- Manchester School of Architecture (MMU)
- Strathclyde School of Architecture
- Edinburgh School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture (ESALA)
- Aberdeen Scott Sutherland School of Architecture
- Peer Reviewer
- European Journal of Creative Practices in Cities and Landscapes (CPCL)
- IGI Global Publishers
- arq: Architectural Research Quarterly. Cambridge Press
- Sustainability Journal. MDPI, Switzerland
- Humanities Journal. MDPI, Switzerland
- Religions Journal. MDPI, Switzerland
- Arts Journal. MDPI, Switzerland
- Radical Housing Journal
- Architectural Histories. Journal of the European Architectural History Network (EAHN)
- Design Principles and Practices: An International Journal
- Trustee of the Foundation for Architecture & Education (AE Foundation)
- Member of Society of Architectural Historians of Great Britain (SAHGB) Member No. 121642
- Member of Architectural Association, AA Member No. 72598
- Associate Member of RIBA. Membership No. 11308066
- Member of the European Architectural History Network (EAHN)
- Member of Architectural Humanities Research Association (AHRA)
- Member of Royal Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts. Membership No. 1114