Dr Abhay is a passionate teacher. He has nearly 40 years of teaching experience of medical undergraduate, postgraduate and other allied healthcare professionals in several countries. Dr Abhay is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and of the Royal College of Anaesthetists.
As small group facilitator, Dr Abhay
- facilitate small group teaching for MBBS Year 1, 2 and PA (Physician Associate) students in communication skills.
- assess students’ mandatory e-portfolio reflections and provide written/verbal feedback
- had facilitated small group discussions in Medical Law and Medical ethics
- participate in the MMIs (Multiple Mini Interviews) for student selection
- participate in formative and summative examinations
Dr Abhay is an experienced examiner and regularly examines candidates for the postgraduate surgical examinations.
Dr Abhay has held several teaching and non-teaching posts. He is also involved in teaching of overseas and asylum seeking doctors. Dr Abhay is a member of the Court of Examiners of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. He has examined undergraduate medical, nursing and physician associate students for various UK Universities. As an associate of the General Medical Council, Dr Abhay was a member of its Fitness to Practise panel and also the Registration Appeals Panel. Dr Abhay has several publications in the peer-reviewed journals, has contributed a chapter in a book, peer reviewed articles for Journal of Medical Ethics and has many poster/oral presentations at national and international conferences. Dr Abhay is a member of the National Forum for Health & Wellbeing and UCLan’s Creative Communities Group (CCG). He is actively involved in the organisation of community health fairs (Health Melas) and supports UCLan medical and other students to carry out voluntary health promotion and health assessments within the community.
- PG Certificate in Medical Education, University of Dundee, 2018/G Certificate
- Facilitating Learning in Healthcare Practice (LiP), University of Central Lancashire, 2016
- Fellowship of the Royal College of Anaesthetists (FRCA), 1995
- Post Doctoral Certificate (Fellowship) in Cardiovascular thoracic and Neurosurgical Anaesthesia, Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology, India 1989
- Doctor of Medicine (MD Anaesthesia), University of Bombay, India 1988
- Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS), University of Bombay, India, 1982
- UM1020 - Evidence Informed Practice of Medicine 1
- UM1030 - Medical Skills and Quality Care 1
- UM2020 - Evidence Informed Practice of Medicine 2
- UM2030 - Medical Skills and Quality Care 2
- Examiner, the Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Fellowship of the Royal College of Anaesthetists
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy
- Registrant, General Medical Council