Professor Dominic Stewardson
Dominic accepted the position of Professor of Restorative Dentistry at UCLan in 2016 He is associate editor for the European Journal of Prosthetics and Restorative Dentistry and a frequent reviewer for many other dental journals. Dominic is an external examiner for other dental schools and is a Chief External Examiner for the GDC’s Overseas Registration Examination. He has over 30 publications and his research interests include investigations of dental materials, dental education and promoting the use of research in dental practice.
Dominic leads the MSc programme in Prosthodontics and teaches on three other MSc programmes. He also continues to teach restorative dentistry and dental materials to undergraduates, runs postgraduate courses nationally, and is the assessment lead for the School of Dentistry. He is an enthusiastic clinical teacher and has had a long association with the supervision and mentoring of Final Year dental undergraduates.
As an honorary consultant in Restorative Dentistry, he provides specialist treatment and advice for NHS trusts.
Professor Stewardson graduated from the University of Glasgow and spent several years in specialist hospital training posts in several UK Dental Schools. He spent a period in San Francisco training in maxillo-facial cancer rehabilitation. This was followed by several years in general dental practice back in the UK, during which time he became a specialist in prosthodontics. Dominic then moved into full-time academic dentistry in the University of Birmingham. There he completed his specialist training in restorative dentistry and gained his PhD.
Dominic accepted the position of Professor of Restorative Dentistry at UCLan in 2016.
- PhD Dentistry, University of Birmingham, 2009
- Fellowship in Dental Surgery (Rest Dent) Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons,Glasgow, 2006, Fellowship, Higher Education Academy, 2008
- Fellowship in Dental Surgery, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons,Glasgow, 1982, BDS, University of Glasgow, 1976.
- Clinical assessment
- Dental Materials
- Fixed and Removable Prosthodontics
- Dental Aesthetics
- Chief External Examiner, General Dental Council
- British Society for the Study of Prosthetic Dentistry
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy
- Associate Editor for the European Journal of Prosthetics and Restorative Dentistry. and a frequent reviewer for External Examiner, School of Dentistry, University of Dundee
- External Examiner, School of Dentistry, University of London
- Dental Schools Council