Denton is a full-time Senior Lecturer in Counselling/Psychotherapy at UCLan.
A counsellor since 2002, he has worked at UCLan since 2019. He is also Course Leader for the Graduate Certificate in Advanced Counselling Skills and Advanced Certificate in Person Centred Experiential Counselling for Depression courses; Course Tutor on the MA Integrative Psychotherapy Course and Module Leader on the MSc Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapy program and teaches on the Advanced Cert in Supervision and the BA Hons Program. He currently works as a psychotherapist and supervisor in private practice.
Prior to working in psychotherapy and mental health Denton initially trained in fashion and ran his own design company, moving into teaching art, fashion and textiles he was introduced to facilitating learning and development with people experiencing mental health challenges; which led him into the world of psychotherapy. He has extensive experience of management of professional counselling training in both further and higher education settings, including nationally accredited programs. Denton has authored a range of practitioner counselling programs within Higher education and has supported the development of the new innovative BA Hons Counselling, Coaching and Psychological Well-being program. As a psychotherapist he currently works private practice as a practitioner and clinical supervisor. He has worked directly in general practice, for NHS IAPT services as a CBT psychotherapist and a counsellor in a range of voluntary sector settings. He has managed counselling services for people with disabilities; worked within end of life services and also for numerous years within sexual and domestic abuse services as a therapist and clinical supervisor. He currently supervises staff working with witnesses within a national child sexual exploitation inquiry.
- MSc Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapy, UCLAN, 2020
- PG Dip High Intensity Behavioural and Cognitive Therapy, University of Manchester, 2018
- PG Cert Praxis CBT, Newcastle University
- Dip Supervision, Cancer Help UK, 2006
- Advanced Dip in Person Centred Counselling (BACP Accred), 2004,
- PGCE, UCLAN, 2001
- BA Hons Fashion Design, University of Salford, 2001
- Research Interests:
- Lived experience of older LGBT in relationship to mental health and access to services
- Social Anxiety and the impact on students
- Common Mental Health disorders, working with minorities and specific learning disabilities, End of life, Sexual and domestic abuse therapy services.
- Accredited Member of British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy
- Registered Member British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy