Dawyn teaches in the field of medicine, bringing nearly 30 years of clinical experience as a Physician Associate. Her clinical experience is the result of working in the United States in both a multicentre triage hospital, caring for the specialised needs of children in gastroenterology and in remote villages of Alaska, providing healthcare to indigenous peoples.
Dawyn's current role is to teach clinical and communication skills relevant in the day to day activities of medical providers. Her goal is that the students to understand the important interface between basic sciences and modern medical care. She is also involved in the administration of the Physician Associate programme on the Westlakes Campus.
Dawyn graduated from the University of Iowa (Iowa City, Iowa USA) with a Master's degree in Physician Assistant (PA) Studies in 1992. She then worked as a clinician in the department of paediatric gastroenterology at the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics (UIHC) for 13 years. Following this job, she was employed by the Norton Sound Health Corporation (NSHC) as a Community Health Aide trainer for 10.5 years. In this capacity, she taught basic medical care to indigenous peoples of Alaska, teaching clinical examination and communication skills. She taught on a full variety of medical subjects, including: paediatrics, obstetrics, emergency, internal medicine and general practice.
- Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree in General Science (1982)
- Master's degree (1992) from the University of Iowa in the United States.
- UM4001 - Medical Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours for Patient Care 1
- UM4002 - Medical Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours for Patient Care 2
- UM4600 - Professional Placement 1 (Physician Associate studies)
- Dawyn is a keen admirer of old handiwork skills. She cooks, sews, crochets, knits, weaves baskets and paints with watercolours.She enjoys walking in the Cumbria on various old pathways in and around the Lake District.
- Dawyn is a member of the American Association of Physician Assistants (USA) and the Faculty of Physician Associates (UK)
- She is a lifetime member of the Christian Medical and Dental Association in the United States and a member of the Christian Medical Fellowship in the UK.