Dr Chiranjeevi Kumar Endukuru
Lecture in Medical Sciences (Physiology)
School of Medicine
Chiranjeevi mainly teaches Physiology and Pathophysiology subjects for undergrads in the Medicine programme. He also teaches on the Physician Associate program in our School of Medicine. He graduated with MSc in Medical Physiology from Narayana Medical College, India. Prior to joining UCLan (Physiology Team) in October 2022, Chiranjeevi completed a PhD degree in Physiology from Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education & Research (JIPMER), Puducherry, India.
As a lecturer, Chiranjeevi is responsible for delivering theoretical, practical, and concept-driven approaches to the Core, Cardiorespiratory, Gastrointestinal, Musculoskeletal, Neuroendocrine and Genitourinary blocks. He believes that up-to-date media clips, in-class simulations, diagrammatic representation, step-by-step flowchart explanations, and thought-provoking activities help students understand concepts at an accessible level. Chiranjeevi is also responsible for developing objective structured clinical examinations (OSCE), pedagogical techniques, lab exercises, group project presentations, problem-based learning, competency-based learning, and short group teaching (SGT) concepts.
Chiranjeevi had six years' experience as a tutor, demonstrator, instructor, and teaching assistant in Medical Physiology before being hired in his current role. In addition, he had five years of research experience as a doctoral researcher. He works in the field of Medicine (Physiology).
Chiranjeevi is interested in cardio-vascular autonomic functions, molecular physiology, diagnostic biomarkers and metabolic diseases. During his time as a Doctoral researcher, he investigated the role of organokines, their gene polymorphisms. He also explored their association with physical activity and cardiac-autonomic functions in individuals with metabolic syndrome in the South-Indian population. His thesis work primarily focused on identifying genes that predispose individuals to, or protect against metabolic syndrome, highlighting critical regulatory pathways and suitable targets for intervention.
He has presented his research work at various National and International conferences and received 5 honourable mentions. He has 20 research publications in peer-reviewed National and International indexed journals. Additionally, he has experience setting up laboratories to study autonomic functions, obesity, molecular biology, and exercise physiology. He has a strong background in designing a study, writing research protocols, recruitment of subjects, data collection, data analysis, manuscript preparation, proofreading, communication to journals for publication and grant writing.
- PhD in Medical Physiology, Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education & Research (JIPMER), 2022
- MSc in Medical Physiology, Narayana Medical College, 2012
- BSc In Medical Lab Technology, Narayana Medical College, 2009
- 'Prathibha Puraskar’ Award from Andhra Pradesh Government for securing the highest marks in Higher Secondary Examination
- Gold medal for the University 1st Rank in BSc Medical Lab Technology Examination
- Gold medal for the University 1st Rank in MSc Medical Physiology (3 Years) Examination
- Best paper award (first prize) for oral presentation in the 40th Annual conference of IABMS – 2019 held at CHRI, Chennai from 31st Oct – 2nd Nov 2019
- InSc Young Research Scholar – 2021 for the Research paper entitled “Cut-off Values and Clinical Utility of Surrogate Markers for Insulin Resistance and Beta-Cell Function to Identify Metabolic Syndrome and Its Components.”
- Best paper award (First prize) for oral presentation in the 6th Annual International Conference on Basic and Applied Physiology – ICONBAP2020 held at SMIMS, Sikkim Manipal University, Gangtok from 5th – 7th Oct 2020
- Best paper award (Third prize) for oral presentation in the 8th Annual Conference of the Endocrine Society of TN and PDY - TRENDO 2020 from 4th – 6th Dec 2020
- Best paper award (First prize) for oral presentation in the Virtual International Conference on Molecular Biology - PANBIOCON - 2021 Organised by Department of Anatomy, Physiology & Biochemistry, Sree Balaji Medical College & Hospital, Chrome pet, Chennai from 24th -26th June 2021
- Best paper award (First prize) for oral presentation in the Recent Advances in Medical Sciences International E-Conference - RAMSIECON - 2021 Organised by Department of Physiology, Yenepoya Medical College, Mangalore from 30th June - 3rd July 2021
- Travel award and Waived registration fee from International Union of Physiological Sciences (IUPS-2022) to present the abstract at the 39th IUPS congress (IUPS-2022), hosted by Chinese Association for Physiological Sciences (CAPS) from May 7th to 12th,2022 in Beijing, China
- Cardiovascular physiology-heart rate variability, autonomic function tests, and baroreflex sensitivity testing
- Non-communicable metabolic diseases: Lifestyle modification (behavioural intervention)
- Exercise physiology & weight loss interventions
- Spirometry: pulmonary function testing
- Obesity, diabetes and metabolic syndrome research - kinanthropometry and body composition analysis
- Endocrine research - studying the diagnostic value of various biomarkers in early detection and risk stratification of metabolic syndrome.
- Molecular physiology - ELISA, DNA extraction for single nucleotide polymorphisms, RNA extraction for gene expression studies
- Lifetime member of the Association of Physiologists of India (ASSOPI)
- Lifetime member of the Association of Physiologists & Pharmacologists of India (APPI)
- Lifetime member of the Institute of Scholars (InSc)
- Lifetime member of the International Union of Physiological Sciences (IUPS)
- Reviewer: Archives of Public Health (BMC Part of Springer Nature)
- Reviewer: Cureus Journal of Medical Science (Part of Springer Nature)
- Reviewer in the Journal of Chronic Metabolic Diseases (CMD), Xia & He Publishing Inc.
- Editorial Reviewer – Physiology: Cactus Communications, Hyderabad, Telangana, India
- Editorial Reviewer: International journal of Engineering, Basic Sciences, Management and Social Studies (IJEBMS)
Chiranjeevi has identified the involvement of novel gene polymorphisms of chemerin, fetuin-A, and FGF-21 in increasing susceptibility to insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome.
Additionally, he focused on diagnosing metabolic syndrome using surrogate insulin resistance markers and novel anthropometric indices. He plans to extend his current research by studying the genotyping and expression of more organokines as predictive biomarkers that can identify cardiovascular complications at an early stage and prevent them from developing. His future research will mainly focus on pre-disease conditions, metabolically healthy obesity, sedentary lifestyle, prevalence-based studies, interventional studies, and equation-derived predictors.
Use the links below to view their profiles:
- View their unique and persistent identifier on the ORCiD registry
- Full list of publications and articles on CLoK
- Google Scholar
- Investigating the role of sirtuins (SIRTs) in the risk assessment of metabolic diseases in individuals with a family history of obesity and its association with cardio-metabolic and inflammatory parameters.
- Investigation of genetic polymorphisms predisposing to polycystic ovarian syndrome and its related metabolic and endocrine traits: A case-control genetic association study.
- Study of biomarkers and genetic polymorphisms in lifestyle disorders and their correlation with severity of the disorder: Effect of counselling on lifestyle modification on these disorders.
- Validating the agreement between bioelectrical impedance analysis and an equation-derived CUN-BAE in assessing body fat percentage among metabolic syndrome and healthy adults.
- Validating the alinical utility of simple and continuous metabolic syndrome risk scores in southern Indian adults for detecting cardiac autonomic dysfunction.
- International Congress of Clinical Neurophysiology & International Federation of Clinical Neurophysiology (IFCN) 31st Edition, 2018
- International Conference of the Association of Physiologists of India (ASSOPICON), 2019
- Annual Conference of Indian Association of Biomedical Scientists (IABMS), 2019
- Annual National Conference of the Association of Physiologists and Pharmacologists of India (APPICON), 2019
- JIPMER 6th Annual Research Day Celebration, 2019
- Basic Medical Sciences (BMSCON) International e-Conference, 2020
- Annual International Conference on Basic and Applied Physiology (ICONBAP2020), 2020
- Annual Conference of the Endocrine Society of Tamilnadu and Puducherry (TRENDO). 2020
- JIPMER 6th Annual Research Day Celebration, 2021
- Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research (PREPARE), 2021
- Virtual International Conference on Molecular Biology (PANBIOCON), 2021
- Recent Advances in Medical Sciences International E-Conference (RAMSIECON), 2021
- IUPS - 39th Edition, hosted by Chinese Association for Physiological Sciences (CAPS), 2022
Email: Email:Dr Chiranjeevi Kumar Endukuru
Use the links below to view their profiles: