Main materials laboratory - HB132B
The laboratory work is broadly based to develop an understanding of the properties of materials, in terms of their structure, use in the construction industry and methods of performance testing.
At level one laboratory study is concerned with introducing the student to the fundamental properties of such materials. The student is asked to investigate the physical and chemical properties in relation to appreciating why different materials are specified for particular elements within the structure, and why buildings stand up. An outline of the principal areas covered being:
- The performance of cement based materials, i.e. concretes & cement pastes, in terms of the rate of compressive strength gain as a function of the free-water content, inclusion of chemical additives and usage of cement & aggregate replacements.
- The performance of timber beams with respect to applied loadings, including consideration of timber type and internal structure.
- The performance of metals with respect to their carbon content, i.e. elasticity, resistance to corrosion, tensile strength, thermal conductivity.
- The performance of masonry elements with respect to the absorption of moisture.
Some final year research projects stem from level one work.
Students on some programmes of study may go on to build upon the knowledge accumulated at level one at levels two and three.
Concrete mixing workshop - HB134
This workshop is adjacent to the main material laboratory and allows students to mix and cast concrete for use in the experiments in the laboratory. It also allows students to experience on site quality control tests.
Soil Mechanics Laboratory - HB132A
A full range of typical soils mechanics tests are available in this facility. The full range of tests is given in the equipment list below.
Structural Testing Laboratory - HB127
This area offers multiple test machines able to test a wide variety of materials in tension, compression or flexural strength modes. It also includes a fatigue test machine able to simulate the effects of vibration on material strength.
Key equipment available
- Universal test frame - Instron 5985 250 kN dual test area
- Universal test frame - Instron 3369 50kN
- Universal test frame - Instron 8502 100kN fatigue machine
- Concrete compression tester - ELE Autoset 3000
- Universal test frame - Testometric FS500CT 500kN
- Concrete/timber flexural test frame - Testometric FS100SCCT 100kN
- Materials tensile testing machine - Hounsfield H20K-W
- Concrete core cutoff and trimmer
- Cross beater mill
- Concrete core drill - Diamant Boart DM100W
- Concrete mixers
- Vibrating table
- Concrete vibrating poker
- Concrete curing tanks
- Various ovens/furnaces
- Environmental chamber - Weiss WKL100
- Various digital balances/larger scales
- Reinforcement bar covermeters
- Vee Bee consistometer
- Air entrainment meter
- Aggregrate moisture meter - Speedy Moisture Meter
- Digital Thermometers – Testo 925
- Resonant frequency tester
- Schmidt rebound hammer - various types
- Ultrasonic pulse velocity meter - CNS Farnell Pundit
- Concrete strength pull test - Germann Instruments Lok-Test
- Plaster shrinkage tests Damp meters/full survey kit - Protimeter
- Video borescope
James Hewell | Senior Technician
+44 (0)1772 89 3213 | Harris Building HB129
Andy Wood | Technician
+44 (0)1772 89 ---- | Harris Building HB126/HB129
LIS Customer Support Team LISCustomerSupport@uclan.ac.uk
+44 (0)1772 89 5355
Key equipment continued
- Quick undrained triaxial frames
- CBR test frame
- Large automatic shear box
- Digital shearboxes
- Ring shear apparatus
- Manual shear box apparatus
- Limit test apparatus
- Density and specific gravity apparatus
- Sedimentation apparatus
- Perneability apparatus
- Cassegrande tests
- Soils sieve shakers and sieve sets
- Cone penetrometer tests
- Specific gravity apparatus
- Sampling equipment
- Field equipment
- Data logging equipment
Harris Building, HB127
Opening Times, Guides and Charges
Official workshop hours are: 9:30 to 12.30 and 13.30 to 16:30 (in practice technicians are often available outside of these times)
Universal test machine sample sizes
Industry Support (IGA work)