Financing Your Studies

Undergraduate Study

Financing  your undergraduate studies banner

Studying for a degree is a big investment in your future but don’t worry, there’s lots of financial support available!

If you are holding an offer from us, and you haven’t applied yet for your student finance, you need to apply as soon as possible for your application to be processed before the new academic year.


All UK and EU full-time students can apply for a loan to cover their tuition fees. You need to apply via student finance and if you and the course you are studying are eligible then the University is paid direct by student finance. The tuition fees that you see advertised are usually paid initially by the Government through the tuition fee loan, so you or your parents don’t have to save up beforehand.

You can find out more and apply at - the process is simple. You can also find out more from this guide.

Students from Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland have different student support available.

Students who are classed as EU or international cannot get support for living costs, however EU students can get help with Tuition fees. If you have been living /are working in the UK and you are not sure if your immigration status means you are classed as an EU / International or Home student, contact Student Finance England to see whether you would qualify for support from them.


Maintenance Loans are available from Student Finance England. You can apply for the loan to help with day to day living costs, both if you are leaving home and if you are living with your parents. If you are eligible and starting your course in September 2016, a Maintenance Loan can help with living costs such as rent and bills. It’s based on your household income, is paid direct into your bank account and will need to be paid back once you’ve graduated and are earning over £21,000. You can visit the student finance website to get an idea of how much you’d be entitled to and how to apply at

Students from Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland have different student support available.


Students who are already enrolled and receiving support from Student Finance need to re-apply each year to be assessed for fee and Maintenance support. You will be assessed based on the eligibility and scheme criteria for the year you first entered into the Student Finance system, unless you have had a break in study.


You only start to repay the loan once you are employed and earning enough, currently repayments start once you are earning over £21,000.
More information on the student loan repayment


NHS students can get help from both the NHS and Student Finance England (at a reduced level), this Guide explains the funding for 2016/17

The Government have indicated there will be big changes from September 2017 onwards for NHS students, which means NHS students would apply to SFE for standard funding, as more information becomes available we will update our Course pages to reflect this. View the latest information.


The University has additional funds that students can apply to, once you have started University if you need extra financial support. You should be aware that the information currently available is for 2015/16 students as the funds have not been finalised yet for 2016/17. Further information and applications for the new year will be available after the start of the academic year.

If you have any questions about this you can contact our Student Financial Support Team, via email or telephone 01772 892583


Student Finance do have support available for students with disabilities. View more information

Living Costs and Budgeting

These are not included in tuition fees. You will need to budget for these separately. Below is an indication of some typical living costs, but everyone is different and you are strongly advised to plan your own budget.

Typical items

Estimated weekly costs – lower budget

Estimated weekly costs - higher budget

University Halls of Residence (based on a 42 week contract).



Food & toiletries



Internet connection
(free wifi on campus and in some accommodation)






(included within university halls of residence costs)



Printing, copying, stationery.



Travel expenses



Mobile phone









Travel on foot or by cycle, bus, train or car/parking



Total per week



You will also need to budget for ‘one off’ or irregular costs :

Typical items

Example costs




Varies depending on your needs

TV licence

£145.50 per year


Varies depending on your needs


Varies depending on model and whether new or second hand

Furniture, crockery etc.

Varies depending on your needs and whether new/second hand.

Please see further information about Standard Additional Costs for International Students

The SU Advice and Representation Centre have support available for budgeting. You can also contact them directly for further information, call 01772 894880 or email

The National Association of Student Money Advisers (NASMA) also publish a Student Money Matters Guide. View the guide.


The SU Job Shop is a dedicated resource helping students get jobs to boost their income whilst still concentrating on their studies. If you would like to know what opportunities are available to work alongside your studies the SU Job Shop can help.