Government Funding Pre Sept 2016 Entry

Funding for Living Costs

This information is for students applying for funding through Student Finance England.  If your not from England please contact either Student Finance Wales, Student Finance Northern Ireland, Students Awards Agency for Scotland or EU/International webpage.

The Maintenance Grant (or Special Support Grant) 

This is a grant of up to £3,387 to help with living costs. This doesn’t have to be repaid. How much you will get can get depends on your household income.

The Special Support Grant

This replaces the Maintenance Grant for people who, as full-time students, can claim income-related benefits. Students can’t get both a Maintenance Grant and a Special Support Grant.

The Maintenance Loan

This is a loan that you can get up to £5,740, depending on the household income and where they’re you living and studying, to help with living costs. The basic rate of Maintenance Loan (65% of the maximum rate) doesn’t depend on the student’s household income but the remaining 35% does. The Maintenance Loan has to be paid back but not until the student’s income is over £21,000 a year.

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs)

Available to students who have extra costs because of a disability, long-term health condition, mental-health condition or specific learning difficulty. DSAs don’t depend on household income. How much students get depends entirely on their circumstances. DSAs don’t have to be paid back.

Childcare Grant

Help with childcare costs if a student has dependent children under 15 (under 17 if the child has special educational needs) in registered or approved childcare. They can get up to £150.23 a week for one child or up to £257.55 a week for more than one child, depending on their household income. This doesn’t have to be paid back.

Parents’ Learning Allowance

Help with course-related costs if a student has dependent children. They can get up to £1,573 a year depending on their income and the income of their dependants. This doesn’t have to be paid back.

Adult Dependants Grant

Helps students who have an adult who depends on them financially. They can get up to £2,757 a year depending on their income and the income of their dependants. This doesn’t have to be paid back.

For more details regarding the finances available throughout Student Finance England please see the factsheets section below.

Part-time Undergraduate

If you are thinking of studying part-time you could apply to get a loan up to £6,750 per year as a Tuition Fee Loan through Student Finance England. Unfortunately there is no Government funding for living costs.

Extra student funding might be available to you such as the Access to Learning Fund (extra help with costs while studying) government benefits or additional external funding. We recommend you visit the following sections of the website for more information; Additional Funding, Student Financial Support Team and Personal Finance.

You can also get the part-time (PTG1) application form from the Student Finance England website.

 

Financial Support Enquiries:


Telephone: 01772 892583 / Email: SFSTeam@uclan.ac.uk