School of Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences
Maudland Building, MB241
+44 (0) 1772 89 5829
Dr Shaw is the Senior Lecturer in Pharmacology with research interests including the use of aptamers and micro RNAs for the early diagnosis and treatment of brain tumours. She is part of the Brain Tumour North West research cluster which involves a strategic alliance between UCLan and the Royal Preston Hospital, the Walton Centre and University of Wolverhampton.
The BTNW research cluster is a strategic alliance between partner institutions that bring together academic researchers and clinicians into one critical mass to share expertise, knowledge and undertake collaborative projects into brain tumour research. The Neuro-oncology research group at UCLan is performing cutting edge research investigating several novel therapeutics, delivery systems and diagnosis regimens for brain tumours. Dr Shaw is currently involved in the use of aptamers as diagnostic and therapeutic agents for all grades of adult and paediatric brain tumours and also the use of micro RNA’s as biomarkers for brain tumour diagnosis and prognosis.
1. Aptekar S, Arora M, Lawrence CL, Lea RW, Ashton K , Dawson T, Alder JE, Shaw L (2015). Selective Targeting to Glioma with Nucleic Acid Aptamers. PLoS One. Aug 7;10(8):e0134957. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0134957. eCollection 2015.
2. Hayes J, Thygesen H, Tumilson C, Droop A, Boissinot M, Hughes TA, Westhead D, Alder JE, Shaw L>, Short SC, Lawler SE (2015). Prediction of clinical outcome in glioblastoma using a biologically relevant nine-microRNA signature. Mol Oncol. 2015 Mar;9(3):704-14. doi: 10.1016/j.molonc.2014.11.004. Epub 2014 Nov 28
3. Tumilson CA, Lea RW, Alder JE, Shaw L. (2014). Circulating microRNA biomarkers for glioma and predicting response to therapy.. 2014 Oct;50(2):545-58. doi: 10.1007/s12035-014-8679-8. Epub 2014 Apr 3
PGCert TLHE University of Central Lancashire 2012.
Ph.D Cell Biology, University of Manchester 2006
B. Sc (Hons) Biomedical Science, Manchester Metropolitan University.2002
• Annual presentation at the BTNW retreat.
• Poster presentation “Developing a physiologically relevant blood brain barrier model for the study of drug disposition in glioma” CVB, Paris July 2015
• Platform Presentation “Selective targeting to glioma with nucleic acid aptamers”. Cancer at UCLan 2013. BNOS 2013 and 2014. Awarded second prize at BNOS 2013.
• Poster Presentation “The Identification and Validation of Novel Aptamers to Glioma.” BNOS 2014, Aptamer conference 2014.
• Poster Presentation “Glioma Specific Target Identification with Aptamers”
BNPS 2014 (first prize)
SBNS 2014 (first prize)
• Poster Presentation “Characterisation of a Novel Human In Vitro Blood Brain Barrier Model”. BNOS 2013, 2014.
• Poster presentation “Circulating miRNAs as biomarkers for the diagnosis of glioma and predicting response to therapy.” RNA conference 2014.
• Platform presentation-Invited Talk “Circulating miRNAs as biomarkers for the diagnosis of glioma and predicting response to therapy” Cancer at UCLan 2015
Fellow of the Higher Education Authority
Editor and Reviewer of the Aptamer Society
Member of BTNW, Editor and Reviewer of the Aptamer Society