WRAP (Waste & Resources Action Programme) was established in 2000 with the aim of, “Working together for a world without waste”. During the past 12 years WRAP has produced a number of courses including those directly relating to increasing the efficiency, quality and quantity of recycled material (Recycling Managers Training Suite). WRAP has selected UCLan to deliver these courses in a more effective way that better fits today’s requirements.
The RMT course is designed for individuals already involved in the recycling sector and those wishing to broaden their levels of knowledge. It is also beneficial to those Individuals who have recently joined the recycling sector or who may have a background in waste management and/or environmental management.
It will equip participants with the knowledge and skills to develop, promote and monitor efficient schemes for the collection and sorting of materials. The focus will be predominantly from the household waste streams of recyclate and is designed to best meet end market requirements following collection.
Entry and Admissions
Short Course / CPD
Attendance on Training Course: 2 days SLD, 12 hours CPD. Delegates who are not already members of CIWM are also entitled to six months free Affiliate membership.
No Partner College
Booking now for the final subsidised course 23rd and 24th May 2017
Face to face RMT course
The course is split into 6 modules, which are run over 2 days. The modules are:
- Waste management policy and legislation;
- Accurate data - an invaluable tool;
- Getting collection right;
- Influencing opinion and behaviour through communication;
- Monitoring and evaluation - the keys to improving performance;
- Contracts - how they can help you get what you want.
Each module is supported by delegate participation in group exercises. A great deal of benefit is also derived from working with delegates from other authorities.
Learning Environment & Assessment:
The course is to be tailored to deliver stand-alone modules which will provide certificated continuous professional development (CPD) qualifications.
We are committed to delivering academic learning of the highest quality, helping you to stretch your mind and fulfil your university ambitions.
Learning outcome & aims
Upon successful completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Assess the role of recycling/composting in sustainable waste management and resource management
- Take account of material specifications and the importance of supplying end use markets with materials of the required quality when assessing scheme performance and planning improvements.
- Use the relevant data and information in developing and improving schemes for the collection of materials for recycling and composting.
- Evaluate the operation and performance of different collection systems and schemes and their relationship with downstream processing requirements.
- Understand the factors that influence the cost of collection schemes
- Identify and evaluate the factors that influence behaviour linked to participation and capture rates
- Assess strategies for increasing and improving the quality of householder participation in schemes to collect materials for recycling and composting.
- Monitor and assess the performance of collection schemes to identify areas for improvement
- Identify the benefits that can be achieved from effective contract design and specification
Industry links & professional accreditation
CIWM (Chartered Institution of Wastes Management).
Work experience and international opportunities
At UCLan we work with a range of businesses and organisations, many of which provide work experience opportunities and project briefs to enable to you gain real work experience whilst you undertake your postgraduate programme. Your course tutor will advise on opportunities available within your course and the UCLan Careers Team can provide help, advice and guidance on how to apply for them and how to make the most of these opportunities.
The UCLan Careers Team offer ongoing supportive careers advice and guidance throughout your course and after graduation, along with a range of modules, work experience opportunities and events to help you acquire the skills to make you stand out to potential employers in today’s competitive market.
Past delegates have made the following comments:
"Very beneficial for those starting out in the sector as well as those who have experience already"
"I found the course highly useful and most enjoyable"
"For my introduction to waste management I found this course very informative and the small group tasks were a good way to share ideas. Great course"
From foundation courses through to world-leading research degrees, you can study a wide range of subject areas at UCLan. Whether you want to develop your knowledge in a subject you enjoy or gain further qualifications to enhance your career, at UCLan there are numerous progression routes for you to follow.
Fees & Funding
For further information contact UCLan
Tel: +44 (0)1772 892400
The RMT course currently receives a subsidy of 70%, current pricing is £100 (inclusive of 1 nights accommodation and refreshments). This price is for qualifying delegates from England, Wales and N. Ireland.
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying for this course, our comprehensive How to Apply pages will guide you through the process. Here at UCLan, our aim is to encourage you to develop your potential and we offer a flexible approach to admissions, which reflects our commitment to all those who would benefit from our courses.
For further information about this course, please contact:
Centre for Waste Management